Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
I have an Odyssey EFIS in my RV-8A and I'm tying to get a second monitor screen in the back to slave off the forward screen. Anybody know if there is a menu site that has to be activated or engaged to get the VGA to output? I spoke with Matt at MGL a couple weeks ago about this an he indicted it would work without a problem, but he is unavailable for a couple weeks. Somehow it never works out as simple as it should. I tested the LCD monitor and it works, but cannot get anything out of the EFIS VGA. I purchased a VGA to RCA adapter from Parts-express and they are a good bunch of folks. I'd appreciate any help and Merry Christmas from Georgia, Bill RV-8A, N288WP, 33 hrs-Phase 1

Come of fellow RV Builders

surely one of the 134 folks that show here as viewers have a MGL system with a second screen. Please respond with how to get the VGA to output so I can finish the plane tomorrow, makng the rear monitor work and flying the last 6.7 hours off and the Bluebird is DONE. Best regards, Bill

surely one of the 134 folks that show here as viewers have a MGL system with a second screen. Please respond with how to get the VGA to output so I can finish the plane tomorrow, makng the rear monitor work and flying the last 6.7 hours off and the Bluebird is DONE. Best regards, Bill

Do you have a link to the converter you used? You need to have an actual converter in this case not an adapter. you will know if its a converter because a converter will need its own power source. This can be confusing because some computer video cards actually send an RCA signal through the VGA connector only requiring and adapter which looks like it should work but wont (like this one, which i bought first but doesn't workVGA to RCA adapter. Unfortunately, MGLs EFIS does not have any RCA signal so you need an active converter.

Here is the converter I used, using the EFIS usb port to power the converter seems to work ok. I have this connected to a Car dvd system and it definitely works. VGA to RCA Converter

Chris, thank you for your input.

I just ordered the converter from the site you provided When it comes in and I get it installed I'll contact MGL so they can properly advise their customers, Best regards, Bill

Second screen

Hi Bill
A friend of mine did exactly that in his RV-4. He installed a small screen in the back and now has all the info from the front screen duplicated in the back.

I will send him an e-mail and as soon as I get an answer how he did it, I will post the reply here.

Bruno
[email protected]

VGA Connector Pins

Bill,

Here is the list of connected pins on the VGA connector

VGA Out connected pins

Pin 1 RED Red video
Pin 2 GREEN Green video
Pin 3 BLUE Blue video
Pin 4
Pin 5 GND Ground (HSync)
Pin 6 RED_RTN Red return
Pin 7 GREEN_RTN Green return
Pin 8 BLUE_RTN Blue return
Pin 9
Pin 10 GND Ground (VSync, DDC)
Pin 11
Pin 12
Pin 13 HSync Horizontal sync
Pin 14 VSync Vertical sync
Pin 15

You might want to search the MGL Users Forum for other info, a number of builders use a second screen.

I believe the video inputs & outputs on the Odyssey G2 are active all the time. The video inputs are CVBS (composite video) on a 9-pin D-sub connector and are used in the various screens or custom designed screens on the EFIS, such as a 'taxi' cam.

The video output is computer standard VGA resolution (640x480) on a VGA connector (pin out given in a previous post). The easiest way to use this is to connect it via a VGA cable to a progressive scanned monitor that accepts VGA input and has a VGA connector.

Connection to any other type of monitor, such as one that accepts only CVBS on an RCA type plug will require conversion. And even then, the monitor needs to be able to sync to the scan rates being output. Not sure how the interlaced scan versus progressive scan is handled. Your monitor may or not work, will need testing to verify.

To check the Odyssey output, just take any VGA computer monitor & connect it up to the Odyssey using a VGA cable.

Thamks fellows, the converter I ordered has arrived and I'll try to

hook it up and test in the morning. I have only 3.5 hours left to fly off Phase 1 to be a "real" airplane. Can't wait to take my girls flying!. Best to you, Bill

Chris, this morning I connected the converter you recommended

up to my Odyssey and LCD Monitor. It worked fine for a few moments then the EFIS screen began to role and the rear monitor went to test pattern. I had a computer savey friend look at the wiring and confirmed the connections. What was weird was that even after I disconnected the converter from the VGA cable and the USB power connection the EFIS screen still rolled? I shut off the EFIS, and master, rebooted and it still rolled. When I disconnected the VGA 15 pin connector from the rear of the EFIS the rolling stopped. The weirdest part was the other end was not connected to anything! I sure need some smart guy help. Another computer guy I explained it to said the rolling was a symptom of a reduction in internal power in the EFIS screen and that the converter may need a source other than the EFIS. That still would not explain the roll stopping when the VGA cable was disconnected. Help if you can and thanks, Bill Phillips

Were you operating only on battery power while doing the testing? If so, do you recall what the voltage to the EFIS was? If low, I would make sure the battery is fully charged & retry it.

The cable, not connected to anything, is still a 'load' of sorts. It has certain capacitive & inductive properties. How long is the VGA cable? Apparently it is degrading the sync signals within the EFIS enough to cause the 'rolling'. My guess again would be marginal voltage. Make sure battery is fully charged or run the experiment on 'ground power'.

Last edited:
I've never had that issue.

up to my Odyssey and LCD Monitor. It worked fine for a few moments then the EFIS screen began to role and the rear monitor went to test pattern. I had a computer savey friend look at the wiring and confirmed the connections. What was weird was that even after I disconnected the converter from the VGA cable and the USB power connection the EFIS screen still rolled? I shut off the EFIS, and master, rebooted and it still rolled. When I disconnected the VGA 15 pin connector from the rear of the EFIS the rolling stopped. The weirdest part was the other end was not connected to anything! I sure need some smart guy help. Another computer guy I explained it to said the rolling was a symptom of a reduction in internal power in the EFIS screen and that the converter may need a source other than the EFIS. That still would not explain the roll stopping when the VGA cable was disconnected. Help if you can and thanks, Bill Phillips

I have never had that problem, and my VGA Cable and converter is always connected to my efis. The battery idea GrayHawk gave sounded like its worth a shot, although even when I ran my battery too low to start the plane I didn't have this symptom.

Also, for troubleshooting:
What happens if you plug in the usb power for the converter but not the VGA cable? because it was still rolling without the converter connected I'm suspecting that this isn't because of the converter in any way and powering it from a different source wouldn't help.

Do you have a computer monitor or other device that runs VGA nativly that you could test with? As others have said this converter setup is definitely a less attractive option to a screen that runs VGA nativly. If you're sole purpose of the second screen is to show the EFIS information, I would return the screen and converter if possible and buy a screen that has VGA input it will look and work much better. However, in my case I'm using the car dvd player for in-flight music and movies for the wife far more than I've had it on the second EFIS so I was ok with this compromise.

Chris,
Since you are a side-by-side configuration (RV-7), what is your topology: where is the converter located, how long is your VGA cable, composite video cable?

Maybe that info will hold some clues?

Chris,
Since you are a side-by-side configuration (RV-7), what is your topology: where is the converter located, how long is your VGA cable, composite video cable?

Maybe that info will hold some clues?

I used both cables that came with the converter, maybe 3-4 ft in length. I have my converter mounted out of the way behind the sub panel.

Maybe it is the Monitor?

The numbers for the monitor Pix are higher than the converter numbers. Maybe I have too good of a LCD monitor and somehow it's drawing more power than the examples given? Any chance ? I assume I can return the monitor for exchange if I knew what to order? Best of Luck in the New Year!, Bill of Georgia

The numbers for the monitor Pix are higher than the converter numbers. Maybe I have too good of a LCD monitor and somehow it's drawing more power than the examples given? Any chance ? I assume I can return the monitor for exchange if I knew what to order? Best of Luck in the New Year!, Bill of Georgia
I guess I would not be ready to trade the monitor quite yet. After all, both Chris & Matt, possibly others, have successfully set up a composite video monitor as a second monitor for the EFIS. Not the approach I'm taking but so what; what do I know? :)

The pixel resolution values only really matter in a digital sense, design of the frame buffer, etc. All of the interfaces dealt with here are analog interfaces, not digital. So if you have a converter that will accept standard VGA input and convert it to standard CVBS (composite) video using the NTSC format AND you have a monitor that will accept & sync to NTSC composite video input; it should work. And it does work for Chris.

So I would go ahead & try the things Chris & I have suggested. They are worth a try & free. Also along with the VGA cable length, give us the make & model of your monitor.

I guess I would not be ready to trade the monitor quite yet. After all, both Chris & Matt, possibly others, have successfully set up a composite video monitor as a second monitor for the EFIS. Not the approach I'm taking but so what; what do I know? :)

The pixel resolution values only really matter in a digital sense, design of the frame buffer, etc. All of the interfaces dealt with here are analog interfaces, not digital. So if you have a converter that will accept standard VGA input and convert it to standard CVBS (composite) video using the NTSC format AND you have a monitor that will accept & sync to NTSC composite video input; it should work. And it does work for Chris.

So I would go ahead & try the things Chris & I have suggested. They are worth a try & free. Also along with the VGA cable length, give us the make & model of your monitor.

That gave me an idea on the converter there are two dip switches that need to be set for NTSC. Check the instructions but I think both switches need to be down? maybe that has something to do with it if those are set for PAL?

Chris, Tried it and

it still did not work. I am convienced the power draw from the EFIS USB connector on the converter it too much for the screen to handle and as a result the EFIS video rolls. Anybody have a part number and distributor for the second TV screen that will work and has it working now? Best regards, Bill

You might want to contact Matt at MGL USA distributor (www.mglavionics.com).

I believe he has provided a second screen using a mobile (car) type DVD screen with VGA input.

photo.JPG

"A Voyager EFIS shown connected to a std ?Car DVD? VGA Screen"

Odyssey to second screen

Hi Bill
Talked to my friend who has done what you're trying to do and all he did was hooking up a VGA screen to the connection on his (His is a Voyager G2 )and it worked.

I tried it and it is really nice.

Sorry I couldn't bring better news..

Cheers

Bruno

Second Screen

This morning I connected a standard big computer flat screen monitor to the VGA of my Odyssey EFIS and it worked fine so I know the output from the EFIS VGA is right for the second screen. Who knows what VGA screen is correct? Something about a 9 inch screen, 12 volts that connects to VGA 15 pin connector? Anybody? Hope to hear from you, Bill Phillips

This morning I connected a standard big computer flat screen monitor to the VGA of my Odyssey EFIS and it worked fine so I know the output from the EFIS VGA is right for the second screen. Who knows what VGA screen is correct? Something about a 9 inch screen, 12 volts that connects to VGA 15 pin connector? Anybody? Hope to hear from you, Bill Phillips

I have so far not come across a screen that does not work. Some don't work well though. In particular I have an older LG flat screen here that shows horrible vertical banding caused by poor translation of the incomming resolution to the actual physical screen resolution.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I don't see a reply from "those who have done it" yet; so I'll answer again with my recommendations.

The basic requirements are a monitor that:
- Works off of available power, I'll assume that your plane is 12/14V
- Has a standard VGA input connector (15 pin D-Sub with standard VGA pin definitions)
- Natively will work as close to VGA specifications as possble, so that minimal conversion is necessary. This will give you best image & operation (as Rainier has mentioned).

Beyond this it becomes a trade off (personal) choice of size, quality, brightness, back lighting, and others VERSUS your budget & what you want to spend.

In general, I would go for higher brightness (usually specified in nits), best contrast, and a display with some anti-reflective coating. This is important in an RV-8 with low wings and exposed cockpit.

A good source of this type of monitor is any source providing these types of VGA/DVD display for road vehicles as the supply voltage is the same (12 VDC).

Some links:
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/vga-monitor.aspx
http://store.mp3car.com/
http://www.aeicomp.com/
http://www.xenarc.com/product/index-monitor.html

or just google 'car vga monitor' OR 'mobile vga monitor'

I can't recommend a specific make or model as I have not tried any of these; but they should work.

My approach has been somewhat different as my goals were different. I bought a sunlight readable monitor, LED back light, VGA, CVBS, DVI-I inputs as my 'second screen' is to be multipurpose, as described at:

http://www.mglavionicsusers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651

This display does work with Odyssey G2.

Here is an image of an Odyssey G2 second screen built for a plane with tandem seating:

img_0148.jpg

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the input all.

I ordered another 10 inch screen from Eonon and look forward to installing it. I will of course test connect it before I start installing. I'll report out to the folks whether it works and add a photo or 2. Thanks again, Bill