Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
I have the Odyssey MGL screen in my RV-8a. I'm relatively pleased with it's performance. Exception is the dimmer for night flying. It has a menu change you punch in for "night ops" and it does dull the screen a bit. But it is still way too bright to fly behind in the dark of night. Making landings last eve and it wasn't completely dark yet I had to fly with my left hand with checklist blocking off the screen light. Not the safest way to land a plane. Who knows how to get the screen darker for night ops? Am I the only guy in airplane land that has noticed this? Hope to hear from someone who knows the answer and best regards, Bill Phillips RV-8a

Under system setup menu, there should be a screen setup menu (menu, menu,down arrow, down arrow if memory serves) which will allow you to define the brightness...Low, Medium, or High. Failing that, there is nothing else you can do.

This was discussed on the MGL Forums and is due to the CCFL tubes used for backlighting.

Ken

I'm at work so I'll get to the airport later to change the settings. I want the screen to be bright for "daylight" ops. (of course) Can the brightness be set for night ops? If I the lower the level of brightness for night ops to make it acceptable and safe will it also dull daylight ops? effectively making the MGL system only half as good as it should be. Am I the first guy to ever fly in the dark with this thing? Does it not get dark in South Africa? Bill

I'm at work so I'll get to the airport later to change the settings. I want the screen to be bright for "daylight" ops. (of course) Can the brightness be set for night ops? If I the lower the level of brightness for night ops to make it acceptable and safe will it also dull daylight ops? effectively making the MGL system only half as good as it should be. Am I the first guy to ever fly in the dark with this thing? Does it not get dark in South Africa? Bill

First select the desired settings for day and night light levels. The night level goes pretty low but can still be fairly bright if it's "black" outside. Any lower and there is a danger that the CCFL tubes don't fire up if it is cold.

Notice the top function in menu level 1 ?
This allows you to change between day and night operations.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I made a screen out of smoked Perspex (U90) that I plan to fit over my Voyager screen with Velcro patches at each corner.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet but I am pretty sure it will do the trick.

Used theatre light film

I also made a frame and used the film that covers lights used in theatrical productions. I used a dark blue. Also works great.