cjensen

Well Known Member
For those not familiar enough with the IOX from MGL, it's an extra box that is mounted behind the panel to give, well, and extension to the EFIS products for additional digital and analog requirements.

iox1.jpg

In/Out Extender Module
IOX

The In/Out Extender (or IOX) connects to the Airtalk port of the any MGL Avionics color EFIS (Odyssey, Voyager, Explorer, Enigma). It provides current sensing (Amps) as well as additional digital and analog inputs and outputs that are used in the folloIOX In/Out Extenderwing ways:

* Connect additional senders such as flap and trim indicators to the IOX to display them on the EFIS
* Switch annunciator panel lights with the IOX, triggered by alarm events on the EFIS
* Connect a remote control (such as 4 buttons on a joystick) to the IOX and use them to control the EFIS with hands-on-throttle-and-stick.
* Have the IOX automatically switch other devices when certain conditions exist.

Who needs the IOX?
If you don?t want to monitor current (Amps) and don?t need to display trim/flaps on the EFIS and if you don?t need a remote control or additional switching functionality, then you can skip the IOX. If you do need any of this functionality, then the IOX is for you!

I'm trying to determine whether to go with this at $175, or if I should go cheap and buy an ammeter gauge and shunt. If I do that, I have to punch another hole in the panel, which isn't a big deal, but it would sort of be out of place with my simplistic panel.

The IOX extender is a neat piece of equipment, but I only need it for the ammeter since I have manual everything else...see the description for other things it will do. On the other hand, I can go cheap, but have an extra instrument in the panel.

The IOX will allow for future expansion I suppose...

I'm not sure I'm looking for an answer here, I just wanted to write it out for others to ponder, and perhaps lend some FRIENDLY advise...;)

I'm not sure I'm looking for an answer here, I just wanted to write it out for others to ponder, and perhaps lend some FRIENDLY advise...;)

The IOX is nice if you have a use for the extra inputs or outputs.
If not, two options:
We have a small unit that plugs into the airtalk link that contains only the current monitor part of the IOX. Obviously it is a lot cheaper than the IOX. It is not in production yet but the prototype has been completed so I hope to have them soon.
Second option, also now in prototype stage is a larger, professional level RDAC (engine monitoring module) with built in current monitoring capability (and a whole lot more - it can even connect wireless to the EFIS, no kidding). But this is somewhat more pricey. It's called the RDAC-M.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

The IOX is nice if you have a use for the extra inputs or outputs.
If not, two options:
We have a small unit that plugs into the airtalk link that contains only the current monitor part of the IOX. Obviously it is a lot cheaper than the IOX. It is not in production yet but the prototype has been completed so I hope to have them soon.
Second option, also now in prototype stage is a larger, professional level RDAC (engine monitoring module) with built in current monitoring capability (and a whole lot more - it can even connect wireless to the EFIS, no kidding). But this is somewhat more pricey. It's called the RDAC-M.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I was hoping you would catch this post...I am certainly interested in the current only option...one question regarding that tho, The SP2 and SP4 will use the two Airtalk ports. Where would the current plug in to? Can the 2 and 4 be spliced to one port? Seems like I read something about that...

As for the RDAC-M...got a trade in program??? ;) I'd be interested in that if I could swap my RDAC for one...also depends on the time frame for that tho.

2 into 1 from MGL

I acquired what is shown in the photo from MGL. Problem solved.

For now, I am using a simple overvoltage warning light; no meter. I have decided to get in the air and tweak later. The I/O unit would be useful for a carb air sensor and a canopy latch indicator. After I fly around for a while there might be other systems and functions that I have not discovered yet. Easy to install at any time.

Can the 2 and 4 be spliced to one port? Seems like I read something about that...

As for the RDAC-M...got a trade in program??? ;) I'd be interested in that if I could swap my RDAC for one...also depends on the time frame for that tho.

Yes, the airtalk ports are multi-drop. We just have two ports on the back to make life easier. You can just use ordinary Y splitters for RCA cables.

No, we don't have a trade-in program from the factory. Some of our distributors might though. We can't really do that because we sell our stuff at very low margins. In order to do the "normal" trade-in thing you either need a ready and willing second hand market or your margins must be large enough to still make money even after giving a hefty discount.
The upside of that is that the new RDAC-M is still going to be quite low cost, my guess at current is around $200.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

I think I am leaning towards just getting the IOX, but what about the current only option? Need to explore each option I have...

Good deal on the 2 and 4 split...that's easy enough!

:cool: