Radioflyer

Well Known Member
In an earlier post I had read that MGL was working on implementing a new AHRS design with the new gyro found in the iPhone 4. (The L3G4200D chip, I think.) Have I missed an announcement on this? I wonder how this is coming along? Will this be included in the basic Extreme EFIS to obtain an inertial based (instead of GPS based) horizon?

In an earlier post I had read that MGL was working on implementing a new AHRS design with the new gyro found in the iPhone 4. (The L3G4200D chip, I think.) Have I missed an announcement on this? I wonder how this is coming along? Will this be included in the basic Extreme EFIS to obtain an inertial based (instead of GPS based) horizon?

You have missed nothing at all...

As far as the XTreme goes the AHRS will remain as external box as this allows more flexibility in placing the gyros in a good location while keeping the display where you want it (even if the location may be less than ideal).
As we believe in unaided gyro systems this is quite important to ensure good performance.

A new AHRS (called the SP-7) is now in production and a new compass (the SP-6) is also in production. Both are expected to be ready for shipping in about three to four weeks and at that point we will make further announcements.
Both the SP-7 and SP-6 use new chips recently released by ST Microsystems.

For those interested in performance comparisons, the new SP-7 can do 250 degrees/second rotation rates (The SP-4 is about 160 degrees/second).
For the many other things that affect performance, some things are better, some are a little worse - overall it's pretty similar as far as the bottom line is concerned - but, most importantly - it is cheaper.
The new compass is not too bad either - it's main advantage is huge headroom for its field measurement which means easier calibration in the presence of disturbing effects.

Rainier

Thanks for the update. The SP7 and SP6 sound great and they are going to make great options for the Extreme. I can see the point you make that it is preferable to have a separate AHRS (and magnetometer) unit to allow for better mounting and isolation. With the prospect of significant price reduction being made possible by the new inertial chips, I'm kind of getting excited that I may have found my EFIS.