638RS

Well Known Member
I purchased the new Extreme for use in a standard Vans six pack panel to replace the vacuum driven AH and DG. I had intended to install the Extreme in place of the AH in the top position and possibly install a second M-10 radio below in place of the DG. As you can see from the photo things did not work out that way. The unit is a bit too wide for the instrument spacing on Van?s pre-punched panel. It interferes with the knob on the altimeter mounted to its right. (knob is removed in the photo) Also, on my panel the unit covers my warning lights on top. I could have swapped the altimeter with the vertical speed indicator to get the knob out of the way but the warning lights above would still be partially blocked by the top of the unit. With it mounted in the lower position the Kolsman knob is still an issue so I will fabricate and extension for the knob.

Now the good news? the unit works flawlessly. Since I only fly VFR I elected not to buy the AHRS. The GPS derived display is excellent. I just wish I could turn off the ?GPS FLIGHT PATH NO ATTITUDE? warning that is displayed across the center of the screen when you are not using an AHRS; or at least move it out of the center of the screen. I?m sure this is a legal requirement but it gets old quick..

The unit is easy to calibrate. The instructions are clear and straightforward.

SNC10760.JPG

Thanks for the post . I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this one mainly for the EMS . The panel space on my 4 is limited but I'll retain the round ASI and alt .

I downloaded the manual but didn't see anything about the actual installation . Did you get that with your package ?

Any other random thoughts or comments are appreciated !

Marc

There is supposed to be an EMS version of the Extreme due out sometime this year that is supposed to be a lot cheaper if you can hold out and dont what the other data on it.

I'm aware of the EMS offering coming up but I also wanted EFIS . This seems like the most cost efficient way to get both for my VFR machine .

Marc