Darren S

Well Known Member
After a long week of trying to find an autopilot that works with my Enigma I have learned a few things.

The Enigma needs a Comm Extender unit to drive Trio servos. Trutrak servos don't work. The TT servos came with the second hand kit I bought.

I was all set to sell the Trutrak servos I have and get the Trio's but then a very knowledgeable person gave me some additional information. The Enigma and the Comm Extender combination may have some issues and doesn't hold well.

The cost of the Trutrak Controllers are pretty expensive. In the order of $2000+

So I was wondering if there are any pilots out there who fly with the Enigma and use it to drive the Trio Controller Head instead of the MGL Comm extender ?

This way I can get some $$ for my TT servos and put that towards the Trio Controller and Servos which run for $1800.

Thanks,

Darren

I was all set to sell the Trutrak servos I have and get the Trio's but then a very knowledgeable person gave me some additional information. The Enigma and the Comm Extender combination may have some issues and doesn't hold well.

Hmm, would not mind some more info on that...
Just did a flight in a very twitchy GP-4 last week (the same that did the Cape Town - London - Cape Town record recently) fitted with a Voyager, COM-Extender and two Trio servos. We flew in pretty bad turbulence and where quite amazed by just how well the AP flew this thing. Generally holds altitude to +/-5ft and if a big bump hits, gracefully gets it back on altitude. Does nice acscending and descending as well.

This is with the latest version of the software (available on our website).
Keep in mind that you can choose between two independent and fundamentaly different AP types (to best suit your aircraft) and that the AP offers a lot of configurability so it is important to spend some time to tweak it to your aircraft as best as possible.

How well the AP flies you aircraft depends on a lot of factors - even fixed pitch prop vs. contant speed has an effect. Many APs tend to be quite useless in turbulence - others struggle in very calm conditions, even that happens...

The cost of the Trutrak Controllers are pretty expensive. In the order of $2000+

So I was wondering if there are any pilots out there who fly with the Enigma and use it to drive the Trio Controller Head instead of the MGL Comm extender ?

Yes, the perhaps most well known is the Sling that recently flew around the World. It used two Voyagers as EFIS and a Trio AP plus the Trio altitude hold.

Production Slings will generally be fitted with the built in AP and MGL Servos (in this case no COM Extender is required).

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics