Bill Phillips

Well Known Member
I have a RV-8a I built with 0-360 and Odyssey EFIS. Can not get the tac or oil pressure to read and show. I know there is RPMs because I see the prop turning and I mounted a mech oil gauge to confrim pressure. I've made every modification and input offered by MGL without any luck. Anybody had similiar problem with MGL EFIS setup? Anybody know how to fix? This is the "tall pole in the tent" keeping me from DAR and flying ths Blue Bird. Bill Phillips

OK, how about starting at the start.

1) What make and type of oil pressure sender are you using.
2) How is the oil pressure sender wired to the RDAC
3) What settings are you using in the "Oil pressure sender setup menu"

4) What RPM source (sender etc) are you using ?
5) How is is wired up ?

Rainier

I have a RV-8a I built with 0-360 and Odyssey EFIS. Can not get the tac or oil pressure to read and show. I know there is RPMs because I see the prop turning and I mounted a mech oil gauge to confrim pressure. I've made every modification and input offered by MGL without any luck. Anybody had similiar problem with MGL EFIS setup? Anybody know how to fix? This is the "tall pole in the tent" keeping me from DAR and flying ths Blue Bird. Bill Phillips

Since there are two identical threads, and this one is the one with more responses, I'll re-post my response from the other one...

I had the exact same two problems last spring when I did my first engine runs Bill. The oil pressure problem was a bad VDO sender. MGL replaced it for free.

The RPM issue was because I hadn't removed the jumper on the RDAC board-

4-14-10-019w.jpg

There used to be a black jumper at that location which blocks the RPM signal. Is yours still in place?

thanks for the imput

but not resolved the problems. I spoke with Matt at MGL in California and he's a very helpful & patient man. Still, everything we tried only made it worse so than now the little red light on the RADC won't even come on and the screen reports RDAC FAIL. I'm a bit discouraged that we can't seem to find the problem. I followed the wires again and there is power and ground so the issue may be in the RDAC it self. Matt says in thousands of RDACs they have not had a full failure which is very reasuring, course this may be the first one. thanks again and if you have any ideas please respond, Bill

but not resolved the problems. I spoke with Matt at MGL in California and he's a very helpful & patient man. Still, everything we tried only made it worse so than now the little red light on the RADC won't even come on and the screen reports RDAC FAIL. I'm a bit discouraged that we can't seem to find the problem. I followed the wires again and there is power and ground so the issue may be in the RDAC it self. Matt says in thousands of RDACs they have not had a full failure which is very reasuring, course this may be the first one. thanks again and if you have any ideas please respond, Bill

Just wanted to make sure you had seen Rainier's questions above, since there were multiple threads.

Bill,

I noticed that you are using AN-3 bolts to mount the RDAC, a bit of an overkill! The heads are rather large, are you sure you dont have a short on one of the copper clads to the sirframe. You might also increase the spacers between the firewall and the RDAC. I would for a positive check totally remove the mounting hardware and then test the system again.

I have had installed a few RDAC's and found them bullet proof. Never had an issue but then never used AN-3 hardware either. Number 6 hardware with nylon spacers and plate-nuts on the back side are more than adaquate.

John Higgins

Help on RPM and Oil Pressure

Anybody know how to fix? This is the "tall pole in the tent" keeping me from DAR and flying ths Blue Bird. Bill Phillips

Bill,
One of the great things about Vansairforce is the technical help. A few posts back you had someone ask some questions. Well, that wasn't just any old bloke trying to be helpful. Rainier is the TOP DOG in MGL. I think it is pretty cool the company Pres is this involved, but he not going to be able to help if you don't respond :D

Best of luck getting that bird flying.

best
Stan

Stan & John

Thanks for the input. The picture of the RDAC above is from Chad's RV-7. I used # 6 screws in rubber bushings to mount mine. Course his RDAC is working and mine has stopped completely. Now also the IO Extender has stopped blinking as well. So without changing anything the system is sorta breaking in a cascade. I again checked power and ground and it is there so I'm a bit concerned as parts stop. Yes, I noted Mr. Ramers's post, and I was certaintly not ignoring it. I just did not know the answers yet as the plane is 57 miles away so I can't just 'pop' over and look at it. I hope to be able to respond this weekend. Thanks for the help, Bill

Bill,

I noticed that you are using AN-3 bolts to mount the RDAC, a bit of an overkill! The heads are rather large, are you sure you dont have a short on one of the copper clads to the sirframe. You might also increase the spacers between the firewall and the RDAC. I would for a positive check totally remove the mounting hardware and then test the system again.

I have had installed a few RDAC's and found them bullet proof. Never had an issue but then never used AN-3 hardware either. Number 6 hardware with nylon spacers and plate-nuts on the back side are more than adaquate.

John Higgins

No issues at all with mine being mounted with AN-3's...;)

Rainier

Thanks for the inqury. I have a VDO sender (one wire that you all sent me)and its wired to the RDAC -X (B) at the oil/press screw. I have a sensor plug screwed into the slick mag over to the RDAC 'Rev Counter" (last screw) with the 22k resister in the bridge as per the drawings. I spoke with Matt and we made the setup changes in the computer via the telephone, than I would start the engine and check readings. Got zip. So we changed the setting some more then he RDAC stopped blinking and I got the "RDAC1 Fail" on the screen, then I looked inside and the IO Extender had stopped blinking as well. At that point I had "fixed" it about as much as I could stand... so I went home. This weekend I'll trace wires and reconfirm all the connections again. I appreciate all you and your team are doing to help, thanks, Bill Phillips