Rainier Lamers

Well Known Member
We have released a new fuel flow sender for MGL EFIS systems as well as our smaller flow indicators.

FFDP.jpg

This unique flow sender uses a new method to measure fuel flow which eliminates bearings and friction. It is very small and has a very low weight and can be used in any orientation. It is not affected by G forces.

It is also lower cost than alternatives...

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

The manual is at www.MGLAvionics.co.za - you will find a link on the "welcome" page.

Effectively there is a small but very precisely micro-machined "thingy" inside the aluminium body of the sender. Fuel passes this object in such a fashion that the fuel rotates around the body in an axial fashion creating a vortex, suspending the object in the fuel and the object rotates with the vortex. The rotations are measured contactless by the black sensor body in the picture - this contains all the electronics, even a micro processor. The black part simply clips off so you can install the aluminium body in the fuel line easily - when done simply clip the sensor electronics onto the body. A red LED flashes when flow is detected (just as additional aid to the installer).

It's pretty simple. Most good ideas are simple.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics

We're all dying to know... How does it work?

Needs AN fittings, not hose barbs.

Or, is this for the Rotax and similar engines?

Last edited:
Pretty cool tech, but Mike is right. Needs AN Fittings or nobody on here will use it. We like to stay at least one shelf above the flying lawnmower dudes.

Or, is this for the Rotax and similar engines?

Looks like... Site says:

Single range fuel flow sender optimized for flow rates up to approximately 50 liters/hour.
Compatible with 4-6mm ID hoses and similar imperial sized hoses.
Compatible with a wide range of fuels including those with methanol and alcohol content.
Mechanical failure of the sender will not block the fuel flow.
The fuel flow sender is compatible with all of MGL Avionics range of products.
Ideal flow sender for Rotax 912/914 series engines and similar makes of this size.

Take a look at the taken apart pics on http://www.mglavionics.co.za/Docs/MGL Flow sensor.pdf though... I like the design when it will work for the rest of us. :) (I'm guessing the ~12 gp/h top end would be limiting as well?)

You better have it ready by the time I need an IEFIS for the next ten or else I'll.......never mind I'm pretty sure you'll beat me.

You better have it ready by the time I need an IEFIS for the next ten or else I'll.......never mind I'm pretty sure you'll beat me.

This particular flow sender has been used in the last Dakar rally at flow rates of up to 70 liters/hour without issues. The origins of this flow sender lie in motor sport.
The version we are releasing for aviation purposes is slightly modified in that it has less flow resistance at the cost of less accuracy at very low flow rates that are not used in aviation anyway.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics