N62XS

Well Known Member
Is anyone using the Enigma autopilot feature with Trio Servos? Actual user opinions sought.

Good luck on this one. I've been digging for the same info. Check out the Stratomaster forum.

Darren

My info is about 18 months old when I was going thru evaluating which system go with. The info I had got from a few sources was that MGL A/P performance even with Trio was poor at best. Trio was their primary A/P that they had partner with. I am sure they have improved the operation since or at least one would think so.

MGL Autopilot status

I have an Odyssey connected to a trio servo for vertical autopilot. I have a separate a/p for horizontal navigation.

I've been test flying the vertical MGL autopilot code for almost a year now. It has gone through many revisions.

At this point it's "usable" for my purposes. I am waiting for another revision from Rainier to further address the issues.

My experience:

1. It will hold altitude fairly well. I have a fairly fast aircraft with slight rearward CG (not out of limits). In calm air it holds usually to +/- 20 feet with only a few "excursions" beyond that. In turbulence, it usually works pretty well, responding to bumps and disturbances fairly quickly.
  2. Descents are managed pretty well. Using the "bug" to descend will result in a pretty smooth descent with only a couple of "hunts" initially.
  3. Climbs are a real dipsy doodle affair. The aircraft will bob and dip incessantly.
  4. The vertical "nav" from the MGL works poorly on approach.
  5. It's not easy to configure. I have spent numerous hours "tuning" the parameters with sometimes only minimal effect.

Bear in mind, I fly this code almost every day, but it's not what I call "finished" just yet.

Rainier and I sometimes disagree on the causes of this. He is a brilliant guy, but does not have a fast RV7 to test fly (last I heard). :)

I think it will get there. I don't think is quite "there" yet for a fast, responsive RV like mine.