flickroll

Well Known Member
Did an oil change today on my 450 hr since factory new 0-360-A1A. Cut open the filter and in the pleats (mainly on the 'inside corner' of the pleats) there is a small amount of ferrous metal. It is so fine it looks like powder...hard to see unless you look very closely. But it is in every pleat, and a magnet picks it up. The engine had a 2 year hiatus on the wet side of Oregon from 2006 until 2008, although it was filled and run with preserving oil before it was shut down for the 2 year storage. I am suspecting cam spalling/wear. Tomorrow I am going to pull a couple of jugs and peek inside. I'd appreciate any insight from engine gurus on what to look for (other than the cam). Also, since it is a very small amount of metal, should I fly it a while longer and look again in 25 hours? (Although something is obviously wearing). Tomorrow I'll put the magnet inside the drained oil container and see if there's more in there. Should have done that today but I was somewhat in shock....

Thanks

Last edited:
Cut the filter in half, fold up the element and wrap it in a paper towel. Then take a bench vise and squeeze the element to remove the oil. Take a pic and post it here.... "tiny" is a very subjective word.

Can do...but I'd say the total amount would cover the area of a silver dollar. Nothing big or jagged, just shiny flecks, nothing bigger than a pin head. Actually smaller than that.

Check with Lycoming before tear down. Their recommendation is to fly for another period of time then check for more contamination. They say up to a teaspoon should not require a tear down. However an engine over ten years before overhaul should be overhauled per Lycoming.

Check with Lycoming before tear down. Their recommendation is to fly for another period of time then check for more contamination. They say up to a teaspoon should not require a tear down. However an engine over ten years before overhaul should be overhauled per Lycoming.

12 years per service ltr.

....... and AZ is correct, filter metal means check sump screen for metal. Sump screen metal grounds the engine. IF the sump screen is clear THEN fly and recheck.

Last edited:
Preflight check

There should be a noticable clearance fore and aft as you push and pull at the prop blade root. Don't be shy. If the engine is making a lot of metal, that clearance will go away because thats where it collects. Finding that is a deal breaker. As for metal findings, slivers or flakes, (like splinters or flat and very shiney pieces), indicate cam/lifter failure. Any aluminum after the first run is also cause for concern. If the other screens are clean, iron fuzz (dull and dark) should not be to much of a concern by itself. Ring and cylinder wear will increase as the engine ages. I have seen engines do this after being parked for a while to. Save you findings and take it to an engine shop before you open it up. The forums can help, but this stuff needs to be looked at by someone who does that.
Andrew
-9 preview

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I have a somewhat local engine rebuilder coming by this morning to help and we'll take a look at all of that. I'm really suspecting cam/lifter wear but we'll see.

As for metal findings, slivers or flakes, (like splinters or flat and very shiney pieces), indicate cam/lifter failure.

What I am seeing is tiny shiny flakes and very few slivers, all of which is ferrous. Not an overabundance of them, but they're there. If it's the cam then it's likely at the beginning stages of wearing. Will pull one cylinder L & R to get a look at the cam. Will also pull the oil pan today and look in there too.

Update.....

Pulled the #1 jug and the intake lifter was spalled, and the cam lobe was starting to mushroom. I guess sitting for 2 years in OR was not so good for the engine.