John Courte

Well Known Member
Ever have one of those days when the world around you is unusually sensitive to fat-fingered fumbling?

Somehow, I know not how, other than me being a bonehead, I managed to destroy one of the plug wires on the right mag harness. I pulled a little too hard on the termination and the end came off, as well as pulling an extra inch of material out of the hole where the wire enters the harness cap.

In the attempt to maybe pull it back out the other way, the termination came off the plug end. Now there's extra wire insulation protruding from both ends and I can't get the plug wires back to their original length where they fit nicely either in the harness cap or the plug fitting.

I have no idea how to get the offending wire out of the harness cap or replace the plug end, or even what I have to do in the first place. I know I'd rather not order a whole new harness to replace one bad wire.

What's the trick for getting the retaining ring or whatever secures the wire to the cap off there, and how do I get the fitting off the plug end of the wire? I don't want to start prying at it with a screwdriver, there has to be some intelligent way of replacing a single plug wire that I'm unaware of at the moment.

cheers,
-John