danielhv

Well Known Member
So Im looking at the plans, which say in one spot to drill a hole with some edge measurments... then right underneath it, it says : 8x 3/16... So I'm thinking "Ok, so I drill 4 of these holes on each tiedown w/those measurements. WRONG! A little further down it says to match drill 7x. A little confusing. Needless to say, my holes are off. And I did it to BOTH of them! :mad: And if I match drill now, it will be close to being a figure 8 pattern (may or may not, but will be close). So before I order another set of tiedowns, is there any obvious fix for this that I'm not catching?

tiedown.jpg

Switch or flip

Can you flip them or switch sides (or do both)? If I remember correctly, they are intended to be bolted so they can be removed later for exchange if needed.

If you can't flip, switch, turn upside down...I would order new piece of aluminum and do over. Since you have access to both sides of the spare right now, you can match drill from the rear.

Any chance you got 'em switched?

btw - keep that thumb out of the way!!!

Welcome to the wing kit! Van's really holds your hands through the empennage kit. It's a lot less with the wings, and the fuse and finish kit get skimpier. I say redo both tie downs. I don't see any other way out.

Call up Van's tomorrow morning and you will have new parts by Wednesday. You can keep yourself busy by deburring wing ribs!

It Happens

I have learned to read ahead before drilling.... Check it twice and drill it once. I am just ahead of you Daniel and there is a lot more things just like this. Good Luck. Feel free to email me any questions. I have probably had the same problems you are going to run in too.

A wise man once told me..... A man scared to drill holes will never complete his project. A man that is drill crazy will complete his project, but will order a few replacement parts. It's only money!

PS... Sealing the tanks is a PITA

RV-9 instructions were clear

I just match drilled the tie downs on my 9 last night. The instructions were very clear. They said to drill one of the top holes with the measurements on the plans and then match drill the other three. The four inside holes have to be match drilled with another part also. Still between the instructions and the plans it took me awhile before I drilled. I wish all the plans were like the RV10. From what I've seen the drawings are integrated with the instructions. Very nice.

By the way, if I was ordering new tie downs I'd get them from Cleveland. They have a set of 3 with powder coated tie down rings for $32. They have the tie down threads already cut. I was going to buy a tap and die set, but when I saw those I just ordered them instead.

By the way, if I was ordering new tie downs I'd get them from Cleveland. They have a set of 3 with powder coated tie down rings for $32. They have the tie down threads already cut. I was going to buy a tap and die set, but when I saw those I just ordered them instead.

Sounds like a good deal... ONLY because it comes with the forged eye bolts. I'm willing to bet I'll need the tap & die set eventually for something else tho. Decisions decisions... :rolleyes:

Tap and Die set

Yes you will need.

Tip - buy the one with the v shaped jaws because it will hold the small taps better than the one that the tap slides into and uses a compression ring.

When I put my windscreen in, I put the tap in my cordless drill and went nice and slow. Saved a huge amount of time and did a great job which also avoided carpel tunnel by twisting so many holes.

You will only use about 3-4 out of all the sizes. It's nice to have another tool "just in case".

Webb,
The tap holder with the compression ring has two sets of jaws, you simply slip the small tap deeper in to the next set of jaws. I fought this problem for a while till a friend showed me, yeah, i felt foolish :D.

Oh

Webb,
The tap holder with the compression ring has two sets of jaws, you simply slip the small tap deeper in to the next set of jaws. I fought this problem for a while till a friend showed me, yeah, i felt foolish :D.

Mine went into the junk tool box!!!

AEX

You could use flush rivets to attach another piece of aluminum .050 - .090onto the AEX and re-drill using the match hole method. It would shift the AEX a little more fwd than the plan, but it would hurt anything since you've got to match drill the skin to the center of the threaded hole.
Charlie

also could have someone competent weld the holes up, grind it smooth, and try again. There's a couple of places where I've opted to weld my screwups rather than wait on new parts...