digidocs

Well Known Member
Hey VAF,

I'm trying to decide between an overhauled RSA5 system and an AFP FM-150 system on an IO-540. I'm not considering the purge valve version of the AFP system---don't want another cockpit control. Fundamentally I like what AFP stands for, but I'm having trouble justifying the extra $1K and am slightly worried that FM-150 parts may be a harder to find than RSA5 parts in the future.

RSA5 pros
-$1K cheaper (not insignificant for me)
-wide parts and service availability
-seems to work well
-AFP sells and supports them

RSA5 cons
-parts are more expensive (how often will I buy parts?)

FM-150 pros
-Don at Airflow is an active member on the forum
-parts are less expensive

FM-150 cons
-relatively undifferentiated from RSA5?
-more expensive
-will I be able to buy parts for it in 10 years?

David

FM-150!

I have the AFP system on my -6. June will be 6 years of trouble free performance. Don's service in helping me get set up and trouble shoot a non-AFP related issue was stellar. He was very responsive in my inquiries regarding the GAMI lean test and verifying the data/injector set up. I've got the purge valve and have been happy with it. Easier hot starts and depending where you place the control, a pretty good anti-theft device:).

Dan,

I talked with Don about the MP drop difference. He suggested the benefit would be about 2-3" of H2O. If my math is good, that's about 1.8HP or 22 fpm in climb.

David

Dan, I talked with Don about the MP drop difference. He suggested the benefit would be about 2-3" of H2O. If my math is good, that's about 1.8HP or 22 fpm in climb. David

Sounds right to me. It's not a big deal. It's just there.