N941WR

Legacy Member
Some time back I started thread titled I feel like I’m about to go through a divorce, which unfortunately seems to have been deleted for some reason.

For those of you new to the VAF, that thread highlighted some of the issues and concerns with the EAA under Rod Hightower's leadership. [ed. Bill (and all), that thread, and others like it, are addressed around the middle of the rules page in detail. Look for 'the annual free speech email' part. And congrats to Mr. Clark!!! v/r, dr]

I'm happy to report that after attending OSH this year, it looks like the EAA listened to our concerns and made some significant improvements.

One of those improvements was electing James Clark. For those of you who don't know James, he is a home builder, member of Team Aerodynamix, MIT graduate, VAF member, and all around nice guy!

Other changes at OSH included new food vendors, additional facilities, improved roads, new openness / transparency, and much more.

I for one congratulate the EAA for listening to their membership and changing course before the damage to our "marriage" was irreparable.

Last edited:
This is good to hear. I was not able to make it this year, but 2012 was clearly a step in the uncomfortable direction. Hope to see the RV'ers and the renewed EAA in 2014 in my own plane.

EAA

I am also glad to hear this news. I can assure you that the homebuilding community will get straight answers from James and he will do his part to make things better with the EAA. He is well read and can handle himself in any arena, no matter what the subject. Electing James to the EAA board was a huge step forward at healing the marriage. He is rock solid.

I saw James as he was packing up to leave on Sunday and we chatted for a few minutes and he reminded me as I was leaving that he wants to hear concerns and reactions of members.

I told him I had none. I think Mr. Pelton has done a great job getting things refocused in a short period of time and it'll be fascinating to watch how the search for a new president turns out.

This is the first year in a couple of decades that I didn't hear any grousing about the EAA at AirVenture.

That alone is worth celebrating. And it's important to let them know what we LIKE as well as what we don't.

There are, by the way, now TWO RVers on the board, because Marc Ausman is still on there, I believe.

I mended mine too, and rejoined at OSH. There is a positive vibe now, and it may not be based on much, but its positive, and they seem to be listening.

Osh feedback

Here are my Oshkosh "complaints":

1) too many interesting forums - had to often choose which of the three that I wanted to see at a particular time.

2) too much stuff to see - they should restrict the number of cool things to see so that I can fit it all into one week.

3) do something about the weather - we only had one period of very light rain, the rest of the time it was sunny and cool. I don't think I broke a sweat once.

Seriously - it was really a great event.

The people working in the food booths actually seemed to want to be there, were friendly, and even good natured at the end of the day. There was a lot of choice. Can't comment on the prices since everything seems cheap compared to Switzerland.

I met a lot of really interesting people. A documentary producer could send out 20 crews to interview random people and get hours and hours of really great film. Definitely the coolest part of Oshkosh.

Oh yes, saw a few nice airplanes, too. :D