Toobuilder

Well Known Member
The -8 I fly has a pair of GRT Horizon 1's in the panel, and the airplane was delivered with memory sticks installed in each. It has been flying that way ever since, and tonight I decided to update the software version for the first time. Reading through the installation instructions, it tells me to remove the stick after upload. Upload(s) went fine, but I'm wondering if the sticks are not needed after update, why would someone fly with them?:confused:

I keep them on for the Demo recording that gets saved on the memory stick which comes on automatically based on speed or RPM. With this, I have a record of all my flight data, engine or any other info if I ever need to reference them. Some thing like a black box.

GRT EFIS can record all flight details

and can be played back to show the flight just as it happened. A very valuable feature. The unit must stay powered up after the flight until the recording is made on the flash drive and the unit should be set to record automatically. On longer flights the system will record multiple files. Mine is set to store the files every 30 minutes. This is all covered in the manuals that are provided in the GRT website. Mine is set to start recording at 1200 rpm and stop at zero rpm. You can also manually stop it; which causes it to start a new recording (if you have it set for auto record). This is handy to do before a flight segment that you wish to review later. Since there is no fast forward you will need to run the playback until you get to the part of interest. That is why I set mine to file and restart every 30 minutes. I have videoed many flight segments from playback and put them on youtube. Search for "GRT EFIS". A USB extension to the panel or under the panel makes usage very convenient. 18 inches is usually enough.
Dale
RV6a
GRT HX
past user of GRT SX

another thought

If these EFIS units are the Horizon WS units, and the original owner did not install the optional compaq flash card inside the box, then these flash sticks sticks probably have the terrain data base, the state boundaries, river and lakes, and I can't think of the others. If you remove the flash stick, you will not have these features.

OK, thanks for the replies. I can see where an extension cable would come in handy, since removing the units to gain access is a pain.

OK, thanks for the replies. I can see where an extension cable would come in handy, since removing the units to gain access is a pain.

Got the extensions in my panel, they make updating a lot easier. You can see them on either side of the auto pilot.

DSC06106.jpg

... You can see them on either side of the auto pilot...

OK cool, I see that. Are these a Radio Shack item, or some more "comprehensive" electronics store?

(BTW - anybody remember all the way back when Radio Shack used to actually stock electronic components?:mad:)

OK cool, I see that. Are these a Radio Shack item, or some more "comprehensive" electronics store?

(BTW - anybody remember all the way back when Radio Shack used to actually stock electronic components?:mad:)
I got mine from SteinAir.

And, yes I also remember the electronic components at Radio Shack. They still have a small selection of items but not anything like they used to.