wera710

Well Known Member
Couldn't think of a better way to spend Memorial Day than giving a little show for the Vets at the local Parade. We flew a Vic of three, with Vlad and Mark in their RV-9As. Fellow RV-8 afficiando Al rode as GIB in my -8. Vlad, being a former Soviet Forger pilot (more properly refered to here in the US as a BOGIE) did well for his first foray into formation since the 1980s.

Happily, we were not the only RVs in the air honoring our veterans on Monday. The airwaves where clogged with various flights putting on a good show for our current and former warriors.

Scott%205.jpg

Vlad caught an interesting shot of my 8 as it pulled up off a solo run down the parade route, smoke on. And yes, we maintained legal altitude, for those FAR types in the crowd.

Scott%204.jpg

Finally, had to burn off the last of the smoke oil, and figured I might as well drop some on Vlad and his camera. I missed, unfortunately.

Scott%202.jpg

Sadly missing from this event was Dragon Flight:

IMG_9694.JPG

IMG_9863.JPG

Although I did hear a lot of what sounded like other RV formations over parades on "School House"! Chef, where you Claw and Mugsy on freq? Seemed like every time another flight called in the beginning of their run, it was RVs! Definitely VanGrunsven central out there. GOOD to see so many RV jockys using their RVs to honor our vets this year! :D

Couldn't think of a better way to spend Memorial Day than giving a little show for the Vets at the local Parade. We flew a Vic of three, with Vlad and Mark in their RV-9As. Fellow RV-8 afficiando Al rode as GIB in my -8.

Thanks to Scott and everyone else with the training and skills to show these aircraft in their best light to a public too-often skittish about small planes. Some people only hear about GA when there's a crash, so it's important that they also see GA as a part of their communities and events.

Vlad, being a former Soviet Forger pilot (more properly refered to here in the US as a BOGIE) did well for his first foray into formation since the 1980s.

Does Vlad already have a callsign? If so, is it one we can all pronounce? Can anyone make a case why BOGIE isn't perfect for him, considering how much time we spend tracking him across the country?

--
Stephen

Nice Bad Attitude

Scott

I really like your Bad Attitude! We are quite close... by the way the RV fly's. We will have to meet up some weekend. And, if you throttle back, you can bring Vlad along :).

Hey Jim, we definitely should meet up. Been trying to get more RV guys together. Whether its for the proverbial $100 hamburger run or formation, or anything else to "justify" the fuel expense!

Speaking of meet and greets. DMW is having an RV flyin in July 13 in case anyone has not seen their flyers. Dragon Flight will definitely be there.

On Vlad and a call sign...hmmm...Bogie does seem to fit! Although I have fallen to calling him KGB. But alas, in this day and age, thats as likely to lead to some over the top DHS pencil pusher arresting him, lol.

Stephen, I appreciate the sentiment. We try to do the flyby for Memorial Day, the Fourth, and the occasional funeral upon request. Most of our local group of formation pilots has long since retired or passed away, so we are kind of starting from scratch again. I was very happy when Mark and Vlad volunteered to give me a hand. Anyone in the eastern PA area wanting to participate, we could use you. Can provide some local train up for the formation side of things, but we also have young eagles days and airport days as well, where the RVs bring in a crowd.