aerhed

Well Known Member
Okay, with the fires and all, what's the best route to get from Meeker to COS right now without oxygen?

Wind direction will determine if the Ft Collins area fire impacts visibility.

One option. South to Montrose (KMTJ) then east to Salida (KANK). Cross the mountain ridge just before Salida around Monarch Pass (find the low spot).

East towards Fremont Co (1V6) then turn northeast before entering the Ft Carson restricted area (R-2601) or east towards Pueblo (KPUB), staying south of said restricted area then north to COS once past the area.

Personally I would go towards Aspen and a bit north cross over towards Leadville then east towards COS but I live here and am comfortable with that routing and altitude.

Last edited:
I don't know "best" but going north to Saratoga, then to Laramie via the pass east of King's Canyon, then down the Front Range would work - staying clear of the fire TFRs and the plumes. Haven't checked to see if the TFRs are in that area, but you could detour north and east until you're clear.

And while your own personal tolerance might preclude this, you can go above 12,500' to up to 14,000' for 30 minutes without oxygen, and that gives you more options, for example, Grand Junction, Gunnison and Salida.

Dave

I think most routes will keep you clear (south) of the current TFR, and unless the wind starts blowing from the Northeast, smoke shouldn't be a problem. Like David says, 14K is when you "need" oxygen.

On a nice, clear, not too bumpy day I would probably just fly east from Meeker and descend under 12,500 after crossing the Flat Tops. I'd climb again at Granby to go through Rollins pass and then head SE to COS. That is only 10-15 longer than a direct route. You could avoid the Flat Tops by heading to Rifle and Eagle before heading NE to Kremmling and again over Rollins pass. That route tacks on an additional 15-20 minutes, but it is over roads and fairly close to airports a good portion of the trip.

Salida is NOT KALS..

Alamosa is KALS, and the VOR is ALS. Salida is KANK.

Wind direction will determine if the Ft Collins area fire impacts visibility.

One option. South to Montrose (MTJ) then east to Salida (ALS). Cross the mountain ridge just before Salida around Monarch Pass (find the low spot).

East towards Fremont Co (1V6) then turn northeast before entering the Ft Carson restricted area (R-2601) or east towards Pueblo (PUB), staying south of said restricted area then north to COS once past the area.

Personally I would go towards Aspen and a bit north cross over towards Leadville then east towards COS but I live here and am comfortable with that routing and altitude.

Best Route

David,
The best route is to come through Glenwood Springs and have lunch with me! Actually, "flymonque" lives in Craig and knows all about this area. Send him an email or PM. I have his cell number if you want - he doesn't get email at his house.

Im serious about the lunch - come on by!

Does Meeker/Kremmling up Blue river work?

I do not know the Blue River but if you go east towards Granby then southeastish, you can cross in that area. What kind of plane do you have?

The Lake Granby area is very scenic and will see many RVs on July 7th. I would not suggest going up river canyons if you are not familiar with the area.

Perhaps you should borrow a pulse oximeter and try a sample mountain crossing before you get to Colorado. Also consider taking a mountain flying course if you have time.

If you live well above sea level, your tolerance for a short duration above TBD feet MSL may be better than most people who live at sea level.

Last edited:
Route

Hey guy,,,,you have an RV,,,,these aircraft were made for the mountains of Colorado-----Go Meeker then Glenwood then up the river, turn right and go over Tenn. Pass to Leadville, then a few miles south of there you will make a left and go direct COS..... You will see scenery unlike anywhere.

4 people in a 10 with no oxy. I'm used to being up without oxygen, not a problem for me. Also used to crossing mountains, but when I first looked at a chart it was fourteeners scattered all over the place and I couldn't find a straight line. In a lot of little planes it would be "you can't get there from here". I think I'll go with one of you guys routes.

I do not know your experience but it is wise to ask about potentially deadly flights. If the winds are not excessive, you can safely make any one of several routes with minimal excursions above 12,500' to 13,500' MSL or thereabouts.

Once you look at it, one question is how scenic a flight do you want?

I have made the route that mtnflyer suggested in reverse and it was great. Here is a photo somewhere in the region between Tennessee Pass and lower terrain. Actually, we may have flown west from Leadville passing a bit north of Aspen. Does not matter, it is all good. Some routes will minimize your exposure to rugged terrain like you see below.

TennesseePassSmall.jpg

Last edited:
Ron, I live at 7200' and every direction out of here is uphill except South to RKS or South Pass. There are plus 13K peaks out my front window (Wind Rivers), so I'm not bothered by mountain flying. I've been up and down the front range and up and down the Canyonlands side a bunch, but have never got to cut across "the hump" in a small plane. Should be fun flying over all the famous ski hills and wilderness areas. The Rollins pass route looks okay, but it all looks pretty much the same to me. Steep & tall.