6 Gun

Well Known Member
Went to DR. for class3 medical on wed. sent me back home and told me to come back on thur. with my conf# were I filed info to FAA on the web site FAA MED EXPRESS and print it out and bring copy was told it started on Oct. 1st so just a heads up to my RV brothers on the medical.
Bob

Yes. Your medical application must be done on line now. Once you complete it, you get a confirmation number. If something comes up and you don't think you'll pass, don't provide the # to the AME.

At least that's how my AME explained it to me.

Don

Good news and bad news ...

The good news is, you don't have to fill that $%^#@ form in by hand in those teensy spaces every two years as in the past. The bad news is the form is exactly the same ... with all the same ridiculous questions about every time in your life - i.e. when and where - you've ever been hospitalized.
My AME said he cannot examine you if you have not filled in the form online, i.e. there is no option for filling it out longhand in his office.

Hi All,

Sorry for the length of this post, but I thought it was important!
This is my first post, so I'll give you a little background. I have been a lurker on the forums for a while and I'm amazed at the amount of talented people that come here to share ideas for building RV's. I have always wanted to build a plane, but time family and moving for my job made that nearly impossible, until now! I recently purchased an RV-8 Empanage Kit. I am getting up to speed on the practice kits and should be starting soon on the real project. Long winters in Wisconsin.

The reason I'm making this post is to do with the FAA's new MedXPress paperless application for medical certification. I am an airline pilot, so I do 2, First Class medicals a year. I guess, I better get used to the new processes. On my last medical in September, the Doctor gave me his helpful information sheet for my next visit. There appears to be a got-ya for the LSA guys on this new process! This is why I'm posting today.

On my aeromedical examiners information sheet the last paragraph states: "Pilots with significant medical problems who want to preserve the Sport Pilot option should discuss all of the issues before using MedXPress. Once the confirmation number is used you lose the Sport Pilot option if you are denied certification." I'm thinking you must have to apply for the LSA option differently, I'm not sure? But I would hate for anyone to have to go through the hoops that the FAA can make you jump through to get the application error corrected!

Below is a link to the Webinar-How to Use MedXPress- The FAA Online Medical Application Video: Dr. Pinnell of the EAA Aeromedical Council will walk you through the FAA's online medical application and show how it can be easily completed and not threaten your ability to fly LSA.

Webinar-How to use MedXPress

Below are my FAA Aero Medical Examiners cliff notes to his pilots.

medxpress.faa.gov

The FAA is going paperless. As of 10/1/2012 we will no longer be allowed to use the paper form 8500-8 which has been the application for an airman medical certificate for many decades. Register Now via the website so you will have a password. Your email address is your user name. In our office we will have computer stations to allow you to fill out the form here, but I suspect most pilots will fill out the form online before coming to the office.
The data entered by the airman will be deleted if not used within 2 months. After successfully filling out the form you will get a confirmation number. This confirmation number is then used by our office to pull up your application. Pulling up the confirmation number is when the application becomes official.

Advantages for the pilot:
You will now be able to fill out the form at your convenience. The error checking system will prevent you from failing to answer a question. It is easier to go check your medications or doctor visit information at home. Less time sitting in the doctor's office. You can save a copy of the application for future reference.

Potential pitfalls:
You must have access to your email account to register. The FAA returns your password via email to your permanent email address. You must have your password to do the online application. If you come to the office with no password and no access to your email then there may be a delay and you will have to either get a new email address or make another trip to the office.
Forgetting or losing your confirmation number. You will get the confirmation number when you submit the form. You will also get an email with the confirmation number. We must have the confirmation number to access your application.
Once you submit the form, you cannot make changes. We can make changes in our office but a record is kept of the changes and we must explain why we made the changes. To avoid misunderstanding, I suggest you are careful about reporting the reasons for a doctor visit. You may want to send me an email if you have any questions. You can make corrections until you hit the submit button. Errors can be costly for the pilot as well as increasing the FAA workload.
Pilots with significant medical problems who want to preserve the Sport Pilot option should discuss all of the issues before using MedXPress. Once the confirmation number is used you lose the Sport Pilot option if you are denied certification.

Hope this helps,

Kurt

Welcome to VAF!!

Hi All,

This is my first post,

Kurt

Kurt, welcome to the good ship VAF
welcome.gif

Good info in your post, thanks for sharing it with us.

Good to have you aboard:D

Hi All,

On my aeromedical examiners information sheet the last paragraph states: "Pilots with significant medical problems who want to preserve the Sport Pilot option should discuss all of the issues before using MedXPress. Once the confirmation number is used you lose the Sport Pilot option if you are denied certification." I'm thinking you must have to apply for the LSA option differently, I'm not sure? But I would hate for anyone to have to go through the hoops that the FAA can make you jump through to get the application error corrected!

Pilots who wish to exercise only Sport Pilot privileges are not required to secure a medical so will not be filling out a MedExpress form.

The above warning applies only to pilots who are applying for a medical to continue Private Pilot privileges but who think they may wish to fly only Sport Pilot in the future.

Last edited:
The above warning applies only to pilots who are applying for a medical to continue Private Pilot privileges but who think they may wish to fly only Sport Pilot in the future.

Mike S. Thanks for the welcome aboard! :D

So thats the difference! I didn't realize that the LSA required no medical exam. Thanks for the info Sam. The guy in the Dr's office last month must have had a disqualifying issue for his 3rd class medical and wanted to drop in to the LSA category! It sounded like it was going to prevent him from doing this the way the Doc was talking! I didn't here the full conversation since I was battling to fill out the old form for the last time by hand! :)

Kurt

Mike S. Thanks for the welcome aboard! :D

So thats the difference! I didn't realize that the LSA required no medical exam. Thanks for the info Sam. The guy in the Dr's office last month must have had a disqualifying issue for his 3rd class medical and wanted to drop in to the LSA category! It sounded like it was going to prevent him from doing this the way the Doc was talking! I didn't here the full conversation since I was battling to fill out the old form for the last time by hand! :)

Kurt

It will prevent him from flying LSA. Once you have been denied you are done. Of course you can work with the FAA on a special issuance for some medical issues.

Above is correct about LSA. No medical is needed other than a state driver's license. But if ever denied an FAA medical, then the rules change, and you will have to prove your fitness.
As to filling in the medical history, my AME always allowed and encouraged the statement, "no changes since last report".