Harvey L. Sorensen

Well Known Member
Today I had my 3rd class airmens pyh. I call and made an appointment for a phy and told them that I wanted a Phy just like a 3rd class airmens but not a 3rd class airmens. They had a hard time understanding but went along with it. Today I told them why and explained that if I could not pass the airmens phy I didn't want it on my record as I could still fly. But if I took it and didn't passs I could not fly. The doctor understood but I don't think the nurse did. But after the exam. and all was well they gave me the form to fill out and that was it.
The nurse asked me if there was any change sence the last exam and I said the only change was that I was two years older and I hoped that was the only change.
So now I can blast around in my magic carpet that is called a RV-9 again.:)

When you are 71 and 3/4 you never know.:p

A friend who got back into flying after a ten year absence did the same thing. He quit flying when diagnosed with cancer. He didn't know if he could pass the third class and wanted to fly Sport Pilot if he had to. He did meet the requirements of the third and is avidly flying again. Harvey, My dad passed his third class in March and he will be 80 on the 31st. He owns an Aztec and will still fly an approach to minimums. Don

They had a hard time understanding but went along with it.

You're very lucky your doctor went along with this...I know many docs that most likely would not have. I guess it was very smart that you didn't fill out the medical application form until you knew there were no problems. Once you fill out the form, you must either get approved or disapproved...no other choice.

In any case, congrats on the medical! :D

Woah

. Harvey, My dad passed his third class in March and he will be 80 on the 31st. He owns an Aztec and will still fly an approach to minimums. Don

Thats impressive....500ft OVC on an ILS is about my limit!

Good job Harvey

Frank

Another option....

You can also get a physical from your regular Doc. The med requirements can be read on the FAA site and your MD can check the same things. Then go to an AME if you passed.

Regards,

It is my understanding that if you know you have a condition which would prevent you from passing a flight physical then you are supposed to ground yourself and you also do not qualify to fly as a sport pilot.

Had you flunked the pseudo physical and continued to fly I believe is viewed the same as falsifying info on the medical form.

medical

If they had found a condition that I should be grounded, I would have grounded myself. I told my doctor as much. However all is well.:)

It is my understanding that if you know you have a condition which would prevent you from passing a flight physical then you are supposed to ground yourself and you also do not qualify to fly as a sport pilot.

Had you flunked the pseudo physical and continued to fly I believe is viewed the same as falsifying info on the medical form.

But finding out about the condition and grounding yourself instead of getting a medical officially denied can save you a ton of hassle later. Once you've been Denied, you are a marked man. You'll have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get the medical back, even if the basis for your denial turns out to be a mistake, and they will be watching you forever afterwards. You could be as healthy as the proverbial horse, but because you've got "Denied" in there somewhere, your chances of not passing are much higher because they will nitpick you.

But finding out about the condition and grounding yourself instead of getting a medical officially denied can save you a ton of hassle later.

Makes no difference from the hassle standpoint. At time of your next Faa physical you will have to fess up and list the Dr you saw and what he found and then the hassle is there all the same.

Not entirely true. If you are a SP, then you have to self-certify with each flight that you do not have any conditions that would prevent you from completing the flight safely - it has nothing to do with the requirements for a 3rd class medical.

N395V said:
Makes no difference from the hassle standpoint. At time of your next Faa physical you will have to fess up and list the Dr you saw and what he found and then the hassle is there all the same.
One difference is that if you are officially denied your medical, you cannot fly as a SP, say if you didn't apply for a renewal and flew as a SP, you'd (probably) be legal.

TODR

But you're still not in the system as having been previously denied. Having that on your record makes the FAA that much more likely to turn you down again, even if the condition has gone away or was a false positive. I know someone dealing with this exact situation right now; the FAA is dragging its feet on even reexamining the case.