aarvig

Well Known Member
The new FAA ruling on antidepressants got me thinking. We have some MD's, AME's, DC's, physical therapists, etc (if I left out your specialty I meant no harm by it) who are on this forum who are an excellent and valuable resource for all things relating to health care. Is it possible to get a MEDICAL section where we can post medical questions and questions that relate to our medicals?

AOPA Medical Service

Since the AOPA was mentioned, I'd like to make a positive comment on their new Premium Service.

I've been having to get yearly medicals since 2007. Even though I've got my medical renewed each year, the FAA was very slow responding to my letters and my AME had to call the FAA each year to get their OK to re-issue for another year.

I enrolled in the AOPA Premium Service and explained my situation to them. They made calls to the FAA on my behalf and with their assistance I finally got a "normal" medical issued. When I re-newed my medical a couple of days ago and showed my AME the letter releasing me from the 1 year restriction and the medical cert from OK City, his reaction was "how'd you get the FAA to send you this?". My answer, "with the help of AOPA".

The premium service was worth every penny and more.

Aaron, I think it would be good to have a medical section on the forum. It is a topic that eventually will affect our individual ability to fly perhaps more than anything else. Our experiences may help some one else avoid the medical problem.

Totally agree.

A Medical section would add a lot to the VAF. no question about it. All of us are getting older and with 'older' medical problems increase. It would be good to have another source of info.

I think that a Medical Section would allow us to learn a lot, not only about health and medicals but also about how the FAA works. Hope that Doug will add a Medical Section.

Y'know.....

....it seems like just yesterday I was wondering what it's like to be old....back in the sixties. I become eligible for Social security this July:)

Agreed....a medical section would fit right in with our grey hair!!

Best,

This is a great site for RV builders and to some extent pilots of RVs.
It presents good factual advice relative to the building of aircraft.

When someone not qualified to give advice posts erroneous or questionable information it is usually easy to spot or corrected by someone who knows better.

Over the years there has been medical/health advice posted here and other places on the internet that has been questionable, bogus or possibly down right dangerous. This info is often supported by reference to bogus or poorly conducted research as proof of reliability. We have all seen the infomercials for diet and male enhancement pills on TV, all supported by "so called research". Unfortunately it is often difficult for most people to determine if the info presented is factual or not.

If you have a medical question you should discuss it with your physician,(one you know and trust) not rely on info from an aircraft builders website.

I agree with Craig Vince, from a med cert standpoint, it is hard to beat the AOPA offering.

Adding a medical section, in my opinion, would not be appropriate for the VAF.net forums.

I don't know what criteria Doug uses for deciding whether to open new sections, but I would think if there was some interest, there would be no harm done in opening it on a trial basis. If after a period of time, say 6 months, the section doesn't generate enough interest to justify the maintenance, then yank it. I would think that would be a good criteria for the existence of any section.

So while a med section could be informative, wrong venue here.

what kind of lawn mower are you guys using at your grass strips? how about a Cessna section, most of us started in Cessna's. :D

A few years ago a friend of mine had just finished installing the floors in his RV7. This can take a while due to all the nut plates, fitting etc. I asked him ?Have you seen your doctor yet about those chest pains?? He was flabbergasted, how did I know? He had not told any one about his trip to the doctor.
The same thing had happened to me while doing the same job. It is caused by leaning over the side of the fuselage for extended periods while resting all your weight on your chest and working with both hands on the floors. This tends to bruise our chest muscles, sternum and ribs right around that heart region. Middle age guys notice chest pains in this area and off to the doctor we go, as we should. I have called this FICP, (Floor induced chest pains), and I know that it has affected others as well.
If you suspect FICP get it checked out, you never know.

Not the Place

Fellow RV'ers,
On the surface, the idea of having a section to discuss the minor aches and pains, and the more serious health issues that we face on occasion sounds harmless and beneficial. But, I must agree with the other comments stating that it is not a good idea.

If, God forbid, you do experience a medical event or diagnosis that could threaten your privilege to commit aviation, this public forum is not the place to come for information. While all responses are made with the best of intentions, the inaccuracy of some information could at the least cause you untold worry and grief, and at worst have devastating consequences.
Craig's statement about having the AOPA medical plan is spot on. When you have a problem, you need to have a strong advocate in your corner. If you decide not to pay the retainer for the AOPA service, there are other private groups that specialize in assisting pilots through medical issues, and I suggest that you use them.
Another reason for not posting your real or perceived problems on this forum is, like it or not, what you post here is public information. This site is unlike any other that I currently belong to, in that we treat our members like family. This leads us to sometimes disclose information, and offer up topics that we would not normally do in public or other forums.
I will leave you with this last bit of advice. IF.....You have a diagnosis or event that you feel may threaten your ability to serve as a crewmember, your reaction should be like we were taught about losing an engine...Stop, and wind your watch! Do not immediately call your AME or start posting messages soliciting public comment on your condition. Get your mind clear, do some research (how many of us ever review FAR Part 67?), and then call AOPA or whomever your choice is for an advocate.

Wellness Instead

A Wellness section would be better. How to prevent the medical problems in the first place. Doesn't seem like that is the mindset though. I am a wellness consultant and there is no doubt in my mind that by changing some habits that most pilots could add 10-20 years onto their flying life.

Avoiding all high glycemic index carbs would do a lot; you hear me Doctor Pepper Man?

Hans

Avoiding all high glycemic index carbs would do a lot; you hear me Doctor Pepper Man?
Hans

Ouch!! A direct assault on our leader!!
I don't suppose that B&J's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch makes the "good" list, either?

Fellow RV'ers,
On the surface, the idea of having a section to discuss the minor aches and pains, and the more serious health issues that we face on occasion sounds harmless and beneficial. But, I must agree with the other comments stating that it is not a good idea.

If, God forbid, you do experience a medical event or diagnosis that could threaten your privilege to commit aviation, this public forum is not the place to come for information. While all responses are made with the best of intentions, the inaccuracy of some information could at the least cause you untold worry and grief, and at worst have devastating consequences.
Craig's statement about having the AOPA medical plan is spot on. When you have a problem, you need to have a strong advocate in your corner. If you decide not to pay the retainer for the AOPA service, there are other private groups that specialize in assisting pilots through medical issues, and I suggest that you use them.
Another reason for not posting your real or perceived problems on this forum is, like it or not, what you post here is public information. This site is unlike any other that I currently belong to, in that we treat our members like family. This leads us to sometimes disclose information, and offer up topics that we would not normally do in public or other forums.
I will leave you with this last bit of advice. IF.....You have a diagnosis or event that you feel may threaten your ability to serve as a crewmember, your reaction should be like we were taught about losing an engine...Stop, and wind your watch! Do not immediately call your AME or start posting messages soliciting public comment on your condition. Get your mind clear, do some research (how many of us ever review FAR Part 67?), and then call AOPA or whomever your choice is for an advocate.

Never thought about it from this angle but that is a VERY good point. Being a chiropractor I often deal with insurance issues. I recently had a work comp case that ended up going to court. The reason her insurance denied her benefits and fought the claim...she posted on her facebook page that she wanted to run a marathon and they found it. They used it against her in every way possible. Eventually she got her claim paid but it caused 2 years worth of stress and annoyance and cost her a lot in legal fees.