RICHARD HUTSON

Does anyone know what effect Sleep Apnea has on your medical? Does the use of a CPAP Machine have any effect on the FAA's ruling on the subject?

I don't have the answer for sure but I might suggest going to the AOPA website and look in the Turbo Medical area and see what they say.

RICHARD HUTSON said:
Does anyone know what effect Sleep Apnea has on your medical? Does the use of a CPAP Machine have any effect on the FAA's ruling on the subject?
http://www.aopa.org/members/files/medical/authority/sleep.html

Sleep apnea

Richard

I have some knowledge of sleep apnea from my prior occupation envolving the FAA medical and I wish to not elaborate on that. The FAA did, a few years back, look very dimly on apnea but then you state you have CPAP machine, so, if you are using the machine, you cannot have sleep apnea now can you? Therefore, you have no medical condition to report as it is now "fixed" during a routine medical evaluation which I would imagine the visit to the doctor was. Policy here is "don't kick a sleeping dog". If you need more info email [email protected] (drop the 2 for it to work).

DickDe

Sleep Apnea

Hello Richard - -

I have obstructive sleep apnea, and I grounded myself about 18 months ago while I sorted out the various issues. (I'm just about ready to reapply for my medical, and I expect some paperwork, but I'm optimistically building my RV7a)

I checked with the AOPA, and (if I recall correctly) you need your physician to certify that you have no med issues that would affect your ability to fly an airplane. (I would double check with AOPA for the latest info) Also, check with your AME on what you need to bring him (or her).

If you are on CPAP, ensure that you are 100 percent compliant. No naps without the PAP. If you have high blood pressure, you need to have that controlled. (Mine is fine except for so-called "white coat" hypertension, but I'm working on that, as well.)

I don't recommend hiding the apnea on your form. That, I believe, is a crime. Just make sure that your PAP treatment takes care of the usual apnea symptoms (mental fog, forgetfulness, drowsiness, uncontrolled BP, etc )

One other thing - - we have a lot of company. Many feel that the current estimate of 4% of the adult male population is waaayy low; and, that this med problem is widely spread throughout all portions of society, including aviation.

I've been doing everything I can to reverse the apnea symptoms. I've lost weight (maintaining at 185, down from >210) and I exercise daily. (I'm about to run my first half marathon in a week). And I take some dietary supplements to counteract inflammation that inevitably accompanies sleep apnea.

Please feel free to e-mail me via the private messages on this forum.

Regards and good luck - - Tom in Sacramento

White coat hypertension

Ya I get that...I find its not a problem with the male nurse though...:)

DickDe said:
Richard

I have some knowledge of sleep apnea from my prior occupation envolving the FAA medical and I wish to not elaborate on that. The FAA did, a few years back, look very dimly on apnea but then you state you have CPAP machine, so, if you are using the machine, you cannot have sleep apnea now can you? Therefore, you have no medical condition to report as it is now "fixed" during a routine medical evaluation which I would imagine the visit to the doctor was. Policy here is "don't kick a sleeping dog". If you need more info email [email protected] (drop the 2 for it to work).

DickDe

Crazy advice... :mad: ..does that mean if I belive my epileptic seizures are fully controlled, then I don`t declare that.
Amatuer medics and forum browsers should not give "policy" or adivice like this.
Contact your AME for a proper opinion.

N184JG said:
What is sleep apnea and what are the symptoms,I never heard of it.
It's a condition where you cease to breathe while asleep, for periods of time up to a minute in length. In some people it's caused by excess tissue in the airway, in infants it's usually caused by an immature nervous system and results in "crib death". The end result for adults is lethargy, chronic fatigue, and symptoms close to narcolepsy. A CPAP machine keeps constant positive pressure on the airway to prevent physical closure resulting in oxygen starvation during sleep.

Don't snore

I think as long as you don't fall asleep during your medical and start snoring, they won't bother you about it<g>

Bob Brown said:
I think as long as you don't fall asleep during your medical and start snoring, they won't bother you about it<g>

Man they make it tuff on a guy. :eek:

Kent

Richard,
The FAA considers sleep apnea as disqualifing, however once you can "prove" that treatment has it under control you can get your medical back. I wouldn't mess around with your medical application, they take A VERY dim view of that. I would call AOPA medical first for guidance.
Randy

At my last medical

It said on the form that making a false statement can get you a $250,000 fine...Yipes!

Thanks

I had spoken with AOPA pryor to making my 1st post, seems there is no clear cut answer. I will start on a CPAP machine next week. I can think of better things to do with the $2000.00 it will cost, even if insurance is paying for it. the lady I spoke with at AOPA Medical said in most cases where a CPAP is used only a follow up each year is required. I will call my AME next week and see what he has to say.