flymustangs

Well Known Member
This isn't specifically RV related, but I thought I would give it a try here. I'm due for my medical and was wondering what the rules were on Chiropractic care. There seems to be some conflicing information on the net about it. I visit a Chiropractor every three months or so to get "tweaked". I don't think this is disqualifying, but does it need to be reported as "visits to a medical professional". No disrespect to any Chiropractors out there, but I'm not sure how the FAA views this area of medicine.

Thanks.
Ken

Ken,

I am a chiropractor in Florida and I treat both private and commercial pilots on a regular basis. Some for minor complaints and some more severe. There is nothing in the regs that would keep you from being "tweaked" and passing your flight physical. General musculoskeletal complaints will not keep you from flying (other than not being able to climb into your plane) and you can disclose the treatment without fear of loosing your medical. If the doctor performing your flight physical finds some organic or physical ailment that would make you incapable of safely flying, he will let you know.

Jim Kinsey
7A wings

Medical Certificate

As a chiropractor (Colorado) who works very closely with the medical profession, I have to agree completely with Jim - don't worry about it. As far as your question about whether or not you should report it as a "visit to a medical professional", that's completely up to you. But either way, it shouldn't be an issue at all. The FAA has no problem with chiropractic care for conditions which do not affect your ability to fly an airplane safely. I treat quite a few commercial pilots on a regular basis, none of whom have any trouble with their medicals.

Oh, and no offense or disrespect felt - it's a good question.

Brandon

Paperwork?

Brandon and Jim, thanks for the replies. I have a couple of followup questions. Should I get a letter from my chiropractor stating the reasons for these followup visits? Will the AME expect that or will he make his own determination as to my health? I can't remember the condition, but I believe these followup visits just ensure the condition doesn't come back. I know since I've been going I haven't had any more pain in my lower back. Luckily the pain was never debilitating.

Ken

FWIW, I am not a doctor and I never played one on TV buuuut,

I DO have backpain. I have a herniated L5 and bulging L4. When I went in to see my AME, he whacked my back (fortunately when I was having a good month!) and said that so long as I could work the rudders he didn't care.

He then checked how much pressure I could apply with my toes against his hands. He gave me my third class med without any problems.

I have never been to a Dr. Snapencrackit, but probably would benefit from it.

:) CJ

Ken,

Lets put it this way, my job as a chiropractor is bad on my back and shoulders and wrists etc...pulling, pushing and lifting people all day for 27 years will get the best of you. I need to go to my chiropractor on a regular basis and have never had any problem passing my medical. You can tell your AME if you want, its no big deal unless your condition makes you unsafe to be up there with the rest of us. If your parts are still working, that is all he cares about,

Captain John if you are ever down here in Kissimmee to see Mickey Mouse, give me a call and I will be glad to get your back in shape.

BTW...Unless your AME is trained to "whack your back" I would be careful, especially with herniations. Most DO's are trained but most MD's are not.

Jim Kinsey
7A first wing done!!!

Jim, Thanks! I will look you up, if for nothing else a burger and a beer!

Lemme tells ya about this local AME we got here. He has been in the glue for some kinda sketchy script writing and the whole place (especially his lobby area) smells like cigarette smoke. The guy has now lost his status and doesn't do medicals anymore.

Everyone went to him because he was local and it was convenient. Dunno who I will go to next?

:confused: CJ