Vlad

Well Known Member
I will be experimenting with old school tachometer installation on my all steam panel. I would like to have some examples of or references to typical driving cable routing. Especially firewall penetration and proper curving the cable from AI location on tip up. Any thought/picture/ref appreciated. Homebuilt or certified.

I understand that the cable on engine side will be working under tough conditions. Would you suggest firesleeve it? Use special grease? Can drive cable be secured like push-pull ones and what amount of play is recommended?

Shop recommendation sought

Can anybody recommend where to order custom made cable, preferrably online?
I need captive cable 33" total length 5/8-18 nut on instrument side and 7/8 - 18 nut on engine drive.

Mine is a fairly straight shot through the firewall to the tach. There is probably a 4" offset requiring the cable to make a slight "S" turn. I purchased it through Aircraft Spruce. I believe they will make one however long you need. As far as the fittings on the end.... I don't remember.

Mine is a fairly straight shot through the firewall to the tach. There is probably a 4" offset requiring the cable to make a slight "S" turn. I purchased it through Aircraft Spruce. I believe they will make one however long you need. As far as the fittings on the end.... I don't remember.

Thanks Kyle,

Aircraft Spruce carries the right one. Do you have any pictures of your installation? If so could you please send some to [email protected] ? Your install is working successfully since 2001 right?
As for routing my biggest concern is firewall penetration, it's right where the oil pressure line feeds its sender along the stiffener. Also oil filter - if you change it, do you unscrew the cable? And the last one - is tach nut on the engine safetied/safetywired somehow?

Vlad,

I'll probably be at the airport tomorrow and will do my best to get a picture or two. I'll have the cowl off anyway so I can remove the starter...

To answer your other questions:

1. Yes, my install has been trouble free since 2008.
  2. I don't have an interference issue with the oil filter.
  3. The engine end of the cable isn't safetied.

The details of my tach cable routing are that it angles up slightly before it penetrates the firewall. It may be an inch higher than the tach drive. The tachometer itself is 6" left of the fuselage centerline, mounted in the lower half of the panel. That creates a 4" or so offset to the left of the tach drive. Also, it creates a slight vertical offset.

I didn't take my camera today, but made some pictures with my phone. Send me a PM with your cell number and I'll forward them to you - I don't know how to send the pictures via e-mail...

Thanks Kyle,
That's the route I will be installing mine only gage will be a little high.

:D I have a mechanical phone without the ability to receive pictures:D But you have the option on your smart phone to send pix to email address. Please try one more time [email protected]