MJarreau

Well Known Member
We prime. Nope, this thread is not intended to discuss the pros and cons of it. It has been suggested to me to mechanically etch smallish parts using a tumbler with pecan (pronounced properly peck-on) shells in a tumbler like device.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Mike

We prime. Nope, this thread is not intended to discuss the pros and cons of it. It has been suggested to me to mechanically etch smallish parts using a tumbler with pecan (pronounced properly peck-on) shells in a tumbler like device.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Mike
Why?

Typically I use walnut shells and it would be with brass or NFA suppressor parts.

The etching I have done on aircraft aluminum has been done with acid.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Mike
Easier to acid etch small parts with Alumiprep. A few ounces mixed per manufacturer in a heavy zip bag. Add the parts. Seal. Shake. Soak a few minutes. Remove to a clean water bath. Rinse. Dry. Prime. Small parts are also easy to Alodine the same way and save both primer and weight.

... It has been suggested to me to mechanically etch smallish parts using a tumbler with pecan (pronounced properly peck-on) shells in a tumbler like device.
Dunno where you are from, but way down south it's pronounced: "PEE-can"

YMMV........ :giggle:

I believe a tumbler would be more likely to polish and clean rather than etch. Much like cleaning brass for reloading in a tumbler with dry media (walnut shells, etc.).

I'm not sure if your looking for texture or adhesion of primer, but good old Scotchbrite is cheap,quick and easy...pr glass bead blast.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Mike
I used Alumiprep for etching. I have a large concrete mixing tub from HomeDepot and etch all larger aluminum parts inside. The Aluminprep was poured back into the container for reuse. For priming and painting, I followed up with the Alodine conversion process prior to painting.

Easier to acid etch small parts with Alumiprep. A few ounces mixed per manufacturer in a heavy zip bag. Add the parts. Seal. Shake. Soak a few minutes. Remove to a clean water bath. Rinse. Dry. Prime. Small parts are also easy to Alodine the same way and save both primer and weight.
Just the alumiprep by itself will etch it well for adhesion? I've been doing acid etch bath plus scuffing with red scotchbright pad in the acid bath. Would save time to not have to scuff.

Dunno where you are from, but way down south it's pronounced: "PEE-can"

YMMV........ :giggle:
Says the guy from Cali. hahaha

Pee-can Pecan
1718641408266.png
1718641472360.png

Just the alumiprep by itself will etch it well for adhesion? I've been doing acid etch bath plus scuffing with red scotchbright pad in the acid bath. Would save time to not have to scuff.
I prefer some mechanical abrasion for paints. I've tried it both ways. Scuffing and washing. Alumiprep solo. I prefer scuffing and scrubbing at the same time with maroon or gray scotchbrite and Bon Ami cleanser. Rinse. Dry. Paint. No haz mat rinse products. I can wash in the sink.