HFS

Well Known Member
Anyone out there employeed mechanical speed brakes - Precise Flight or ?; and, if so, with what results.

Thanks

This subject has been discussed to death in recent months in the threads shown above and others. In my opinion it is far better to install a VP prop and use that as a brake rather than compromise the integrity of the wing or fuselage structure. Bear in mind that speed brakes are used very infrequently but the weight of the installation has to be carried around all the time. A VP prop is used in all phases of flight and therefore its weight is a justified inclusion into the build. Also a speed brake is just another thing that can go wrong. If it goes wrong at the wrong time then you will be wishing you had left it in the box it came in.

Seems like the cases where it could be useful are in the minority. Like needing to lose 6000 feet in 10 miles. That is not the norm for my flying. If I encountered it I would deal with it. For someone who does that all the time (probably few), either develop a technique that gets you down in a prudent manner or install the speedbrake. I would first ask how much time you save using the speed brake (versus CS prop) and using a speedbrake...then determine if it is worth it.

If the real problem is that you want to stay full throttle until you enter the pattern, then you have a simple way to fix that if you are willing to learn.

I just remembered that I have encountered a similar situation. Over Denver Class B at 12,500' on the way to Greeley (KGXY) which is at 4700'. If I am talking to Denver approach and they let me drop through their airspace it is a non-issue. Otherwise, I have had to go east a bit to get the time needed to lose 7000'.

I think a belly board like on a Long EZ may be a better solution for those who feel they need the added drag on descent. No aeronautical expertise supports that opinion.

Last edited: