jkinger

What are builders using to measure and mix proseal? Dan had something about this on his website. I have not been able to access it for a week.

Jim

I found a very inexpensive balance scale at Harborfreight.com, and used that for a while.

Then, I learned that proseal cures in a catalyzed reaction. What that means is that if you mix any of the black goo in with the white goo, the mixture will eventually cure. The only difference is that the more more black goo you add, the faster the mix will cure. Higher temperatures speed curing too...

Once I had that straight, I simply used throwaway plastic spoons to scoop out the approximate ratio recommended on the containers.

400 or so hours and 4.5 years flying, and I've had no problems with the tanks..

KB

Measuring ProSeal

My wife is a teacher, and has a balance she bought for teaching science. I mix up batches of 20 to 70 grams (which end up as 22 to 77 grams of course :)

I bought some plastic 'party cups' at the grocery store and popsicle sticks for mixing. I also got some large (60ml) plastic syringes from my vet. I cut off the tip and drilled a 3/16 hole in the end. I found it makes applying the goop MUCH easier.

Dennis Glaeser
7A Wings (putting bottom skins on the first wing)

Scale

Digital postal scale available at Wal-mart. Easy to use (digital) and measures small amounts very precisely. Cost about $20...its in the stationary section.

Scott

small amounts

tx_jayhawk said:
Digital postal scale available at Wal-mart. Easy to use (digital) and measures small amounts very precisely. Cost about $20...its in the stationary section.Scott
Ditto, home office supply store digital scale. Use little cups cut down or some paper to measure on wrap the scale with clear wrap to protect if from stray prop seal. You can freeze the finished mix to slow the cure for a longer self life, otherwise you need to mix only small amounts; Plane on doing only one rib or a few stiffiners at a time. G

by volume?

Isnt proseal by volume?
I never minded it much. Little black in a lot of white as worked for me on a couple rv's

Kahuna

Ok, you now know how to measure it but what do you measure it in?

I used a digital postal scale because you could put your mixing bowl on it and zero it out (tare weight).

For the mixing bowls I used Ziploc Containers w/ the "snap 'n seal lids" when I needed a small batch. I found I used the lids more than the bowls.

For doing the tanks I would then put the BGD (Black Goop of Death) into a Ziploc bag and cut one corner off so I could squeeze the stuff out.

The other thing I did was to have a LOT of disposable gloves available. The second one would get messed up, I would pitch it and put on a clean one. I went through a lot of gloves but my tanks were fairly clean when I finished and so were my hands.

(Does anyone know how to get BDG out of carpet? It looks like I tracked some into our bedroom.)

ProSeal, or atually ChemSeal, is measured by weight, not volume.

I used the el-cheapo Walmart kitchen scale and put it in a large ziploc bag to protect it.

And I bought a sleeve of those plastic highball party glasses with wide rims.

I bought two packages of Popsicle sticks at the craft store (JoAnn Fabircs)...one wide and one small.

Put the plastic cup on the scale...tare it to 0....add 35 grams of the white.....3.5 of the black....mix....mix....mix.....bang...enough for one rib (by the amount I use).

Throw the ssticks away...throw the cup away....voila!

N941WR said:
The other thing I did was to have a LOT of disposable gloves available. The second one would get messed up, I would pitch it and put on a clean one. I went through a lot of gloves but my tanks were fairly clean when I finished and so were my hands.

I would suggest you double or triple glove. Then you can remove a 'dirty' glove and keep working without having to stop and fight a new glove onto your hand, which can be a pain if you have sweaty palms from a "ProSeal Anxiety Attack". :D