Status
Not open for further replies.

delusional

Well Known Member
The really insidious thing about these qb kits is that they make the parts so *&^%#$ well that you can get lulled into the perception that they will all fit perfectly with little effort on the builder's part, which is true except when it's not.

I fabricated metal plugs (as suggested in the manual) for the HS tip fairings and was impressed at how well the glass tips from Vans fit the tip of the HS. So impressed that I just _assumed_ that the trailing edge of the fairing was already cut to size and would clear the elevator counterbalance with no need for me to do anything as pedestrian as trim it, so why even bother checking to make sure it would clear.... After all, it doesn't say to in the manual, does it?

You can probably see the flaws in the above plan.

This is educational; since in addition to removing the other fasteners involved, I got the opportunity to learn to remove copious amounts of tank sealant (which I had applied because I "never planned" to remove the metal plug from the fairing and you sure don't want that thing moving around in such proximity to the elevator) using plastic cutlery.

So, my next post will be a detailed review of several fine brands of plastic cutlery which can be used to remove proseal in any such educational experience. Note that I did not come up with this idea, but probably read it in RViator or SA, perhaps. But I think I'll be the first to offer a detailed comparative analysis of the knives. Oh, and there are many subtle details involved as I now have _learned_, having logged several hours "collecting data".

Thanks

I'm right there. Same plane, same decision, however you are one (mis) step ahead. Thanks for posting. As for sealant, (and I do alot of this) I use metal tools that have polished sharp edges with rounded corners. I rarely scratch. Watch the corners and keep the edges flat, smooth and sharp. Wood carving knives work great.

That sounds like just the thing...

for experts such as yourself, Andrew. I bet a nice, sharp, thin steel blade would cut way faster. Which is why I'll stick with plastic for now. A clutz like me benefits from the limited rate of damage the plastic ones can achieve on proseal, or more to the point, flesh.

The empathy helps, though...

Speaking of cutting stuff, what's the best way to trim the glass fairings? abrasive wheel, jewelry saw, co2 laser?

Speaking of cutting stuff, what's the best way to trim the glass fairings?

Small cutoff wheel on a dremel (or drill or die grinder) works best. Small removal you can do with belt or disc sander.
Measuring? Some say measure twice, cut once. I like the Tim Allen method myself, that is "Don't measure, cut yourself"".

Status
Not open for further replies.