BrianP

Sponsor
I’m on step 8 page 6-3 RV-10 where I am supposed to MCS the VS-1003 with the VS-1014 clecoed behind so that the skin dimples can sit flush. I have some spare pieces I have been practicing on to set the MCK depth. Once I am deep enough so that the pieces sit flush when clecoed, I feel that the MCK has gotten quite deep, much more than the volume of the dimple it receives given that there is a bit of a shoulder on the dimples and they are not a perfect conical shape. Should the skin sit a bit proud in this situation and hope that the rivet forces the dimple into a more conical shape or should I MCK until it sits perfectly flush with clecos?

Attachments

• IMG_7617.jpeg
    IMG_7617.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7619.jpeg
    IMG_7619.jpeg
    344.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7620.jpeg
    IMG_7620.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 31
I made a few different sizes of CSK gauges out of scrap aluminum about 1/2" wide and a couple inches long. Drill and dimple at the end for the size of CSK you are doing. Then MCS some thick scrap and use the gauge to test the depth. When the gauge sits flush and tight in the CSK hole it is set ok. If it slides side to side it is too deep and if it doesn't sit flush it is too shallow. FWIW.

I’m on step 8 page 6-3 RV-10 where I am supposed to MCS the VS-1003 with the VS-1014 clecoed behind so that the skin dimples can sit flush. I have some spare pieces I have been practicing on to set the MCK depth. Once I am deep enough so that the pieces sit flush when clecoed, I feel that the MCK has gotten quite deep, much more than the volume of the dimple it receives given that there is a bit of a shoulder on the dimples and they are not a perfect conical shape. Should the skin sit a bit proud in this situation and hope that the rivet forces the dimple into a more conical shape or should I MCK until it sits perfectly flush with clecos?
Section 5. In the construction manual gives a very specific recommendation for how deep a machine counter sink should be for a dimple (.007 “ deeper than you would go for a rivet to fit flush)
There is a very specific reason for this recommendation. It is explained in the sticky thread, titled machine countersink diameter for dimples at the top of the list for this sub for.
Or here is the link - https://vansairforce.net/threads/countersink-diameter-for-dimples.159343/
Based on what I see from your posted photos, you have countersunk way too deep, but it sounds like you already know that.

Yeah that looks like too much.
007 past flush is the official guidance.
I’d just stick with that.
Maybe as you progress further through the build you will have a better feel for the variables at play and experiment more.

I don’t think you can judge it by the loose fit up of the dimple in the countersink. It would seem that people probably overdo this more often than not.

Edit: Scott beat me to it. Listen to him!