AntiGravity

Well Known Member
Anyone here from outside the US ordered from McMaster-Carr recently? I tried to order titanium tie down rings and got told they don't accept non-US orders any more... :(

International orders

AntiGravity said:
Anyone here from outside the US ordered from McMaster-Carr recently? I tried to order titanium tie down rings and got told they don't accept non-US orders any more...
Here's a quote from their website:
McMaster-Carr Website said:
Do you ship orders outside the United States?

We ship our products throughout the world using air and ocean transportation services.
Are you ordering on the website? I've got an order ready to go, but I have not ordered anything from them since February. That would kind of bite if they stopped shipping international. My sister is already getting kind of tired of re-shipping stuff to me... :eek:

Website order

Yep, I placed the order on their website. Actually, I got the link on the titanium eyebolts from your website! The order was accepted and I was immediately emailed a confirmation.

A couple of days later I received this:-

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, due to the ever-increasing complexity of U.S. Export regulations, McMaster-Carr can no longer accept orders for private individuals outside of the United States. We sincerely regret any inconvenience this causes you. Please be assured that your credit card has not been charged.
[/QUOTE]

... to which I replied with this:-

I don't understand why that should be the case. Surely its just an envelope job.
I order items from the US all the time from large companies all the way down to one-man companies. I have not had this problem yet with any of them. Please advise. I need these parts and cannot source them locally.

... and the next day got this:-

The U.S. government regulates the documentation required for material shipped out of the country and also controls what material companies are allowed to export. This is a serious responsibility for any exporter and we have chosen to avoid the risks involved in these transactions. We will not be able to accept your order. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Very frustrating... :(

McMaster-Carr

They adopted this policy early this year and have not accepted o/s orders since.

They have subsequently bounced a couple of my orders.

Last year, I had a problem with a number of US suppliers who would only ship UPS so I contacted Jed Gregerson at Steinair who agreed to consolidate & on-send by airmail a number of packages I had sent to them - for $10 per package plus mail cost( my proposal). Was still very cost effective to get access to some of these PITA suppliers.

May be worth talking to Stein - I reckon it could be a pretty useful add on service for his business given the number of non-US builders around.

John Moody
Melbourne Australia
RV8A/ Egg STI sc

Last edited:
McMaster-Carr

Now we just need to find another company that has the same stuff as McMaster-Carr, and will ship internationally. I've been searching for a while, since I never liked the fact that McMaster-Carr only shipped with couriers, not with US Postal. US Postal is *much* cheaper for me, and about the same speed, due to the processing differences on this end.

Local suppliers here are a waste of time, except for some electrical stuff.

I've been buying some stuff directly from China, when I can find it. Usually the shipping is 75% of the total, but when they charge 1/10th the "regular" price, it's worth it. I'll bet shipping from China to OZ/NZ is much cheaper.

Order test

Hi Mickey, why don't you place your order anyway, since you had it ready to rock n roll? Let us know if you get the same response? I just noticed that the original notification said "private individuals". I wonder if I ran it through a company I'd have better success. Maybe I'll try it, but at the moment I don't feel particularly inclined to give them any of my business with their attitude...