sjhurlbut

Well Known Member
I'm trying to order some pitot static fittings from McMaster-Carr but apparently they have decided to no longer ship to Canada due to "complex exportation regulations". Since every other company in the states does it - I have no idea what the issue is.

Anyways anyone willing to place an order for me and then mail it USPS to me?

I think the total order was around $120. Will use Paypal and pay all fees.

Thanks

Next week

Steve,

I have a drop box in Lewiston, New York that I am going to next week to pick up my finish kit. If you send it there, I can bring it back and send it to you.

The only hick up may be that we head to Florida last minute on the 7th and my finish kit arrives late.

When do you need it by?

Don

Other pitot fittings

I refuse to use those SafeAir fittings. After having built 3 airplanes, try lying on your back and disconnect them. I found they often bind and require two hands to undue. Really nice looking and easy to install when building but I always build with maintenance in mind and means not using these fittings. McMaster Carr carries the best ones I've found that are one hand locking operation. Or just stick with the ugly screw on white ones.

I have talked to McMaster directly about this. The issue isn't entirely the export regulations, although that is part of it. The much larger issue for McMaster is the Visa fraud that they have been subjected to by cross-border shoppers (not just Canada). The cost of chargebacks for cross-border sales became high enough that they weren't profitable selling to those markets, so they elected to cut off all of the private sales.

The export regulations require paperwork, which is about the same amount of work regardless of whether it's a $10 order or a $10000 order. 100 $100 orders is 100 x more paperwork to generate than 1 $10000 order, though.

It's worth noting that (last time I tried) they won't take orders with a Canadian credit card to ship to a US address, either.

Canadian VISA is a go!

I have talked to McMaster directly about this. The issue isn't entirely the export regulations, although that is part of it. The much larger issue for McMaster is the Visa fraud that they have been subjected to by cross-border shoppers (not just Canada). The cost of chargebacks for cross-border sales became high enough that they weren't profitable selling to those markets, so they elected to cut off all of the private sales.

The export regulations require paperwork, which is about the same amount of work regardless of whether it's a $10 order or a $10000 order. 100 $100 orders is 100 x more paperwork to generate than 1 $10000 order, though.

It's worth noting that (last time I tried) they won't take orders with a Canadian credit card to ship to a US address, either.

Just a FYI, they do take Canadian VISA's if you have an US address!

Cheers,

Don

I made a small purchase for my business last year and used my business VISA with no problem. Have things changed in the last year? If not perhaps you could find a local business friend and have them place your order .