eavila1

Looking at pulling the trigger on their Vernier Assist controls. Worth the $$$$? Also, I get their throttle configuration and specs and attachment end to the throttle body linkage, but I'm scratching my head on their mixture cable end that looks like the end on my cabin heat valve. ?? What am I missing? I need to attach my mixture control to the FI body arm similar to the way I will the throttle...No?

I used McFarlane's vernier assist, prop, and mixture cables. All three cables have identical ends. In my case, the ends are 3/16 x 32 with a standard 3/16 rod end bearing.

Is it worth it? I haven't flown my project yet, but the throttle feels and works great.

Looking at pulling the trigger on their Vernier Assist controls. Worth the $$$$? Also, I get their throttle configuration and specs and attachment end to the throttle body linkage, but I'm scratching my head on their mixture cable end that looks like the end on my cabin heat valve. ?? What am I missing? I need to attach my mixture control to the FI body arm similar to the way I will the throttle...No?
I would say that in general, the McFarlane cables are worth it. I had to change the original Vans green sheathed cables twice, at 500 hours and then again at 1000 hours. I replaced the second set with McFarlane cables and they’re still going strong at nearly 1000 hours in service (2000 hours total time).
Replacing cables is a royal PIA. So even though they’re triple the price, I find them worthwhile.

Jerry

I used McFarlane's vernier assist, prop, and mixture cables. All three cables have identical ends. In my case, the ends are 3/16 x 32 with a standard 3/16 rod end bearing.

Is it worth it? I haven't flown my project yet, but the throttle feels and works great.
hmmmm. It appears the Vernier assist mixture cable they provide doesn't have the 10-32 threaded end anymore. Can anyone that has recently bought these confirm that? Maybe I can get a custom one built or just use the regular vernier, but the panel hole on reg vernier is 3/4, whereas i've already drilled my panel 3/8" for the vernier assist mixture. I did call them yesterday and i had to go through the nice admin assistant gal to relay all my questions. Patience grasshopper

hmmmm. It appears the Vernier assist mixture cable they provide doesn't have the 10-32 threaded end anymore. Can anyone that has recently bought these confirm that? Maybe I can get a custom one built or just use the regular vernier, but the panel hole on reg vernier is 3/4, whereas i've already drilled my panel 3/8" for the vernier assist mixture. I did call them yesterday and i had to go through the nice admin assistant gal to relay all my questions. Patience grasshopper
I believe this is correct -- the cable they sell as a mixture one is wire end only. I used a generic vernier assist push pull (MCVA1035-20-060, in my case) and screwed a mixture knob handle on (McFarlane part 6570).

I believe this is correct -- the cable they sell as a mixture one is wire end only. I used a generic vernier assist push pull (MCVA1035-20-060, in my case) and screwed a mixture knob handle on (McFarlane part 6570).
Ah Ok that's the ticket Noah. Thank you. Just looked at that series of cables and that's def the way to go for mixture. Was your mixture travel 2.25" like the throttle? It seems on my RSA5d1 Body mixture arm it is a little less travel than the throttle but has more of an arc compared to the throttle.......so I estimate it to be the same 2.25". Is that what you specified. Does the travel need to be dead nuts on or at a minimum of 2.25? I Appreciate the input on what you can recall

Ah Ok that's the ticket Noah. Thank you. Just looked at that series of cables and that's def the way to go for mixture. Was your mixture travel 2.25" like the throttle? It seems on my RSA5d1 Body mixture arm it is a little less travel than the throttle but has more of an arc compared to the throttle.......so I estimate it to be the same 2.25". Is that what you specified. Does the travel need to be dead nuts on or at a minimum of 2.25? I Appreciate the input on what you can recall
I can measure how much travel I actually use, but the stock travel was plenty -- I hit the stops (on an IO-320 w/ Silverhawk servo) well before I run out of cable travel.

Couple of other notes:
* On a -9A w/ stock firewall penetrations, the 60" is on the long side for the mixture. It worked, but I almost wish I'd gone for a custom length (I think around 54" would be ideal).
* You'll likely need to do something non-standard on the servo side as far as brackets go -- the end arrangement is considerably different from the Van's one. I drew up and had SendCutSend bend a custom bracket for me to get supports in the right place.
* You can fit a McFarlane vernier assist through a 3/8" firewall passthrough, but for your sanity I suggest going bigger (I'd already installed mine when I realized how tight it was going to be).

If needed, yes...the vernier assist cable is available with a 10-32 end. The part number is an MCTV1035-XX (XX = the desired length). In my case, I had a custom length made.

Example here: Link to 10-32 Vernier Throttle

If needed, yes...the vernier assist cable is available with a 10-32 end. The part number is an MCTV1035-XX (XX = the desired length). In my case, I had a custom length made.

Example here: Link to 10-32 Vernier Throttle
This link is good, but it is for a Throttle cable. On this page you might see that they offer the cable "Without the Knob" Buy that and then by and install the knob of your choosing. Here is a link to the Mixture knob. https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/products/product/6570/

My opinion is McFarlane's catalog is not user friendly for homebuilders who need a cable and have dimensions. Very hard to find.