comfortcat

Well Known Member
Friend
I do not see too much about McCauley props on the list. Are they not used on RV's?

I have a chance to buy a nice prop from a Grumman that has the same engine as mine. I'm getting the size, bolt, pitch info now.

Thoughts?

Dkb

I don't think it can work for you unless you want a "climb" prop. The top speed of the Grumman is probably 50 kts less than your airplane.

-Andy

The Grummans span a fairly wide range of speeds. The 180hp Tiger is close to a 140ktas machine. The Travelers and Cheetahs definitely aren't that fast, but not 50kts slower than your 9. Still, even a cruise prop for a Cheetah, repitched by the maximum amount, would still end up being too flat for what you want.

Besides, it's like a pretty old (70's vintage) prop and may have quite a few hours of wear on it, not to mention the potential for corrosion.

BTW, anybody who's doing the 160hp upgrade on their Grumman Traveler/Cheetah is well advised to install the Sensi prop to get maximum performance. This performance upgrade is one of the reasons one sees the McCauley's come onto the market with reasonably regularity.

Fixed pitch, or Constant Speed?

If C/S, before you purchase, check to see if the prop is "approved" on your particular engine.

Many McCauley C/S props are not vibration tested on Lycoming 4-cyl engines without Torsional Vibration Dampeners (also called Counterweights)

Ask me how I know.

Go in with full information.