Denase

Mazda has come out with an aluminum block diesel. Produces 310 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm. Can't find a specific weight for it. But with that kind of torque it might work without gear reduction.:)

Mazda has come out with an aluminum block diesel. Produces 310 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm. Can't find a specific weight for it. But with that kind of torque it might work without gear reduction.:)

That's only 118 hp at 2000 rpm. What is the torque at 2700 rpm?

I thought there was a graph online showing torque and horsepower figures, but I can't find it now. I did find a max of 170 horsepower. But they don't say at what RPM. A 14:1 compression ratio, might be hard to restart at altitude, if you had too.:eek:

If its predecessor is any guide, it should be in the neighborhood of 300 ft-lbs at 2700 rpm. That's 154hp. If your prop likes 2800, then you can get 160hp.

Pretty neat, hope it comes out at a reasonable weight, too.

David

Last edited:
deisel

Car & Driver is speculating that Mazda will be using it in their cars this year. They state: "Mazda’s higher-spec 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D diesel four is the best candidate for U.S. service; in Europe, it makes 173 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque."
I'd like to throw one in my CJ7:eek: