gasman

Well Known Member
Friend
Fixed pitch props.
Brake tech for builders
Building custom seats
Ask the DAR..... Mel
The story on ECI cyls
And how Cub Crafters fly their LSA on 180 hp.

Worth Reading

Gee, I think ALL issues of Kitplanes are worth reading!! :)

My favorite magazine.

Just got it yesterday, and have to agree...this is one of the best issues they have put out in a LONG time!!

Let's not forget Stein's article on Pitot/Static system... Great article and long overdue.... This topic never gets the attention it needs..

OK but

If you are building or into building Kitplanes is probably OK and I think that is the market. I personally would like to see a magazine that focused a little beyond the entry level into some serious experimental research to increase performance of the best products available - engines included. I don't mean marginal examples of people that have stuck some power plant on and made it work novelty stuff. And drag reduction results with objective and consistent test methods not some ivory tower classroom level gobbledegook with no hard evidence. And while they are at it report the results of air racing with some analysis and trend information.

Bob Axsom

I thought it was a good issue too...

It's amazing what a little competition from EAA's great improvements of in Sport Aviation. Right now I put the EAA publication in the lead, but it's nice to see kitplanes responding with some decent articles too.

Competition keeps the gravy train at bay and is good for all of us.

Phil

I personally would like to see a magazine that focused a little beyond the entry level into some serious experimental research to increase performance of the best products available - engines included. I don't mean marginal examples of people that have stuck some power plant on and made it work novelty stuff. And drag reduction results with objective and consistent test methods not some ivory tower classroom level gobbledegook with no hard evidence. And while they are at it report the results of air racing with some analysis and trend information.

Are you volunteering to help, Bob? I'm all ears!

It's amazing what a little competition from EAA's great improvements of in Sport Aviation. Right now I put the EAA publication in the lead, but it's nice to see kitplanes responding with some decent articles too.

Competition keeps the gravy train at bay and is good for all of us.

Well, I won't say that EAA's improvements aren't making me sit up a little straighter, but the truth is that the stories in the May issue were on the board late last year, and were probably only tweaked a little bit since then.

But I am compelled to respond. We have a few new writers and story concepts to debut through the summer, and one or two larger programs on a more distant horizon.

Through it all, understand that we're strongly cost constrained. Our great ideas always over-run our ability to execute them...but we're trying. And we're definitely open to suggestions like Bob's to do more hard-core performance evaluation and specific race coverage. I stopped carrying Reno stories a few years ago when I realized we were getting the same article every year with only the names of the winners changing. I would love to carry coverage that was technically savvy and useful to the typical builder, but it takes the right person with the right mindset to convey it.

Speaking with my homebuilt-enthusiast hat on...

I have to say, in my opinion Kitplanes was really going downhill before they shook things up at the top. Back then I was about to let my subscription lapse, but the improvements over the last several years (well, it's probably been longer than that now, I guess) have changed my mind, and now Kitplanes is full of great material that I look forward to reading every month. So kudos to Marc and the KP staff.

Similarly, Sport Aviation was gradually turning into AOPA Pilot, what with all the articles about Cherokees and Cirruses. I'm glad to see that they've woken up and started paying attention to the E in EAA again. I don't know if it was perceived competition with Kitplanes, or the drumbeat of feedback from the membership, but I do know that it's a great time for magazines about building your own airplane.

However... not to take away from either of these fine publications, but I must say that if I could only keep one magazine subscription, it would be Air & Space Smithsonian. If you don't subscribe, you ought to check it out. Of course I subscribe to all of 'em because I can't get enough aviation reading material. :)

mcb

No , but ...

I would be willing to help because I think the information needs to be exposed. I am a middle of the pack racer with some very important health provider responsibilities since just before the AirVenture Cup Race last year so I would not be a good point man on this. I expect my wife's health to be improving greatly in the near future and I can work during those times at night when I wake up to help put stuff together but I'm having a hard time just getting the annual condition inspection done on my plane so I can't have the intensity of involvement and awareness that would make it special. I will miss the first race of the season this year at Taylor, Texas but after that I hope to take them all in including the one in Canada in August. Mike Thompson is the creator and director of the Sport Air Racing League and he modifies and races his RV-6 he might be a good source. Alan Carroll is a Professor of Geology in Madison, Wisconsin and he has a very clear focused mind when it comes to air racing which he does in his modified RV-8. John Huft is far and away the fastest RV racer in his modified RV-8 he provides his information at his website - very intense engineering minded but friendly guy. Bruce Hammer and his brother Steve have their Glasair I TDs modified to a speed level that I doubt anyone else will reach - Bruce especially is a very intense no nonsense guy that would not waste time with a lot of fluff. The race results for the past three years are located at the Sport Air Racing League website www.sportairrace.org and I have collected that information into an Excel four worksheet workbook that I can provide with tabs for the as published race results, then sorted by class & speed, sorted by speed regardless of class and sorted by pilot. I am interested and pleased that you are interested.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Ditto

Speaking with my homebuilt-enthusiast hat on...

I have to say, in my opinion Kitplanes was really going downhill before they shook things up at the top.

mcb

Now if they would just quit wasting space on all of those "guides". I really don't need another listing of every homebuilt ever thought of. That would be good web site content, not the mag.

Now if they would just quit wasting space on all of those "guides". I really don't need another listing of every homebuilt ever thought of. That would be good web site content, not the mag.

I would bet that a lot of the readers and subscribers are not yet builders, and that's why that issue is included every year. I don't need it either, but it's not published for those of us that don't need it...;)

I would bet that a lot of the readers and subscribers are not yet builders, and that's why that issue is included every year. I don't need it either, but it's not published for those of us that don't need it...;)

Even though I've built one plane, which I'm now "restoring", and hope to start on another soon; I find the guides most interesting. I like to compare similar makes and models, quantity flown, kit costs, estimated costs, etc.

Remember, not everyone wants to build and fly an RV. After all, there are those out there who have never ridden in an RV. ;)

(Does my opinion on this subject even count since I've been on Marc's payroll from time to time?)

I let my subscription for Kitplanes expire a few years ago and forgot how much I enjoyed it. Time to re-subscribe I guess,,,,,,:eek:

We have, sorta...

In general terms, I tend to agree. And we have rather dramatically cut back on the number of "directories" we do. Used to be that we had trikes, powered parachutes, and other types of aircraft, plus, for a couple of years, we ran Buyer's Guides for SLSA (ready to fly) aircraft.

Thanks to the efforts of our new(ish) web guy, we have the opportunity to do some interesting things with online databases, and I think you might see some more consolidation of guides. Ironically, the one I struggle with the most is the Plansbuilt Buyer's Guide. That one is a natural for a web-only product, but I get calls every week from someone who has seen the paper copy, has a question about a plans provider (usually, they don't answer the phone!) and confesses that he doesn't have regular internet access...so could I look something up?

A significant, albeit decreasing percentage of our readers don't use the internet much and don't want us to put these guides there.

Trust me, every year as we get nearer production for the December issue, I ask my staff, "Can't we just do this on the web?" It would be so much easier!

I think Kitplanes has improved since I started getting it a couple of years ago, but maybe it's just my understanding of the content that's gotten better. :)

I always enjoyed the buying guides.

In general terms, I tend to agree. And we have rather dramatically cut back on the number of "directories" we do. Used to be that we had trikes, powered parachutes, and other types of aircraft, plus, for a couple of years, we ran Buyer's Guides for SLSA (ready to fly) aircraft.

Thanks to the efforts of our new(ish) web guy, we have the opportunity to do some interesting things with online databases, and I think you might see some more consolidation of guides. Ironically, the one I struggle with the most is the Plansbuilt Buyer's Guide. That one is a natural for a web-only product, but I get calls every week from someone who has seen the paper copy, has a question about a plans provider (usually, they don't answer the phone!) and confesses that he doesn't have regular internet access...so could I look something up?

A significant, albeit decreasing percentage of our readers don't use the internet much and don't want us to put these guides there.

Trust me, every year as we get nearer production for the December issue, I ask my staff, "Can't we just do this on the web?" It would be so much easier!

First time I've posted on the forums here, but I've lurked for a little while. If it wasn't for catching a glimpse at a Kitplanes magazine years ago (probably 2000 or so?) while visiting my uncle I never would have even gotten interested in experimental aviation, and would've gone directly to certified aircraft... The last airshow Ken ran that I was at he literally had to pry his brand new issue out of my hands *grins*

Marc Cook

How interesting (and wonderful) to have the "one who knows" participate in the thread. Wouldn't it be great if everyone who sells anything connected with experimentals read this forum and put their two cents in. Lord knows how much Scott McDaniels of Vans has taught me just by commenting on here about my RV12. Stein chimes in occasionally but for the most part, the ones to gain the most do not. I don't know of a faster, more informative way to question and explain than this forum. Bob's single comment alone already has Marc thinking about advanced aerodynamics opportunities. Thank you Marc for reading this forum (and for participating). See...we don't bite.

Tom Martin is a possible

I would be willing to help because I think the information needs to be exposed. I am a middle of the pack racer with some very important health provider responsibilities since just before the AirVenture Cup Race last year so I would not be a good point man on this. I expect my wife's health to be improving greatly in the near future and I can work during those times at night when I wake up to help put stuff together but I'm having a hard time just getting the annual condition inspection done on my plane so I can't have the intensity of involvement and awareness that would make it special. I will miss the first race of the season this year at Taylor, Texas but after that I hope to take them all in including the one in Canada in August. Mike Thompson is the creator and director of the Sport Air Racing League and he modifies and races his RV-6 he might be a good source. Alan Carroll is a Professor of Geology in Madison, Wisconsin and he has a very clear focused mind when it comes to air racing which he does in his modified RV-8. John Huft is far and away the fastest RV racer in his modified RV-8 he provides his information at his website - very intense engineering minded but friendly guy. Bruce Hammer and his brother Steve have their Glasair I TDs modified to a speed level that I doubt anyone else will reach - Bruce especially is a very intense no nonsense guy that would not waste time with a lot of fluff. The race results for the past three years are located at the Sport Air Racing League website www.sportairrace.org and I have collected that information into an Excel four worksheet workbook that I can provide with tabs for the as published race results, then sorted by class & speed, sorted by speed regardless of class and sorted by pilot. I am interested and pleased that you are interested.

Bob Axsom

Tom Martin who lives in Ontario, Canada would be a most meaningful contributor to the out of the entry level content you seem to be interested in. He has built several RVs, Harmon Rockets, F1 Rockets and he has the fastest EVO Rocket in racing. He is currently working on an RV-10. He is also involved in some internal engine work.

Bob Axsom

I started this thread because when I sat down to read this issue of KITPLANE, I had given myself 15 minutes to blow through this issue and throw it on the pile and be gone doing what ever. It didn't happen that way...........

I started on page 2 reading about grass strips.... and then the letters were great. On page 6, MGL offers a three year warranty, thanks Rainier! And then GRT shows the new Sport SX. All great stuff!!! Randy got his name in print again with "It's a Cub thing. Could not pass that one up. Then it went on to fixed-pitch props. Great read. Each flip of the page just got better..... Stein took up 6 pages giving out great information. And then on the very next page, BRAKES....... all about brakes. And on the next 5 pages were answers to questions that are current here on VAF.

They talked about city hangars......... and building seats. And next was Mel (Ask the DAR). He gave you information in one minute that would take you 30 minutes to find in the FARS. A nice short story on page 57.

Just when I thought this couldn't get any better, I flipped the page to find....THE STORY ON ECI TITAN CYLINDER ISSUES. Information that many of us need to know. And again much time spent here at VAF with this issue.

This issue reminded me of the many great issues of CUSTOM PLANES. I sure miss them.

Thanks Marc for a great read.

KitPlanes Website

The KitPlanes web site doesn't support Firefox or Chrome (my versions anyway). Thereby ignoring or alienating at least 40% (significantly higher among technically literate) of the market.

A coworker of mine will walk out and never return if a restaurant doesn't have his beloved Coke products available. I suspect many feel the same about websites that support only IE.

The KitPlanes web site doesn't support Firefox or Chrome (my versions anyway). Thereby ignoring or alienating at least 40% (significantly higher among technically literate) of the market.

That's news to me. I routinely use it with Firefox on the Mac, and just checked that it works with Chrome. It's fine with Safari, too. (The only browser I can't check is IE.) What platform are you on? I'll be happy to have our web guy check it out.

A coworker of mine will walk out and never return if a restaurant doesn't have his beloved Coke products available. I suspect many feel the same about websites that support only IE.

Works fine with Chrome version: 4.1.249.1042 (42199)

I must admit that I don't subscribe to KitPlanes any more...

...because it takes 2 weeks after I see it in Barns&Noble before I received it in my mail box at the house. I just could not tolerate that two week delay knowing that this great mag was just a few miles down the road and I had to wait. Ain't going to happen. It's an ADD thing.

I know it is not KitPlanes fault that the USPS can't get my mail to me in a timely manner, but then I am resigned to paying news stand prices for my timely fix.

Great mag. I just wish EAA's Sport Aviation was just as relevant to my needs.

I've been a KP subscriber for almost 10 years now. I, too, almost let my subscription lapse several years back because I just wasn't getting much out of it. I have noticed a significant improvement over the past couple years. Great job, Marc. The same with Sport Aviation, too. I find myself reading more and more of the articles there as well. And, they have this new format that I really like. I haven't measured, but it seems like the pages are wider. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but for some reason I really like the way it reads, feels, looks, ???

Great Job Marc -

I enjoy KPM every month and it has improved greatly in the last few years IMO. Well worth the money and very informative to this beginner.

Isn't it about time for you to sell the Sportsman and begin another kit build - say of the RV Species - 3,4,6,7,8,9,10,12?

You do intend to build an RV someday - right???:)

Thanks

Marc,
Thanks for responding to the "directory" issue. Its probably the main reason I dropped my subscription years ago (I'm back now). I just couldn't abide the loss of content.

Here's a thought for the directory issue(s). Print the summary info in the mag and then direct folks to the web for the boilerplate (database) information. You could do it in 2 pages instead of 20.

In general terms, I tend to agree. And we have rather dramatically cut back on the number of "directories" we do.

Isn't it about time for you to sell the Sportsman and begin another kit build - say of the RV Species - 3,4,6,7,8,9,10,12?

You do intend to build an RV someday - right???:)

At the rate I'm going, I'll be first in line for the RV-15.

Can't resist joining in this discussion ...

I agree the May issue of KP is excellent one the best of any of our enthusiast mags. Similar to what others said, I actually DID let my subscription lapse a couple years ago, but re-upped when KP's quality turned upward in a big way. Since then, KP has been by far my favorite of "the usual suspects" in builder mags. Hats off to Marc Cook for the great turn-around and the continuing editorial guidance. I'm also appreciating the articles by some guy named Repucci :D ... anybody heard o' him before? ;)

The KitPlanes web site doesn't support Firefox or Chrome (my versions anyway).

Jasperlv, I've had a few readers say the site was rendering improperly and it was always due to an ad blocking plugin they installed for their browser. Usually Adblock was the culprit.

I use Firefox myself.

Cheers,