flickroll

Well Known Member
I'm wiring up an AFS system that will include a G430W. The 430 Aviation serial out goes to AFS and the TT AP head. I would also like to send it to a G696, which would be a total of 3 devices being fed by 1 serial output. Is this OK? Thanks

Most off-the-shelf RS-232 serial transmitter chips can handle 4 or 5 connections without any problems. I'm not sure what Garmin uses, but I'm pretty sure you'll be OK with 3 connections. I would recommend contacting Garmin to be sure.

I'm wiring up an AFS system that will include a G430W. The 430 Aviation serial out goes to AFS and the TT AP head. I would also like to send it to a G696, which would be a total of 3 devices being fed by 1 serial output. Is this OK? Thanks

If I recall correctly, my 430 manual states that each serial output can drive a maximum of 4 serial devices. I don't have the manual handy at the moment to verify this.

Skylor

I'm driving three from one, so I can tell you that works. The trick, of course, is finding a format that all three of the "receivers" like, and that the "sender" can transmit....

It's also length dependent

...so as long as all of the feeds are behind the panel, you should be OK. You aren't feeding anything in the wings or tailcone are you?

RS-232 will drive a single load up to 25 ft or so, more loads will reduce this distance.

Garmin's 430 spec only seems to give a load number for the ARINC lines - they just state that their RS-232 drive meets the EIA specification.

More about length...

Yep, if all the endpoints are a short distance apart, it'll probably work fine. If a long distance away, then reflections become an issue and you might have problems. If you did have receivers a long distance away, then you could make it work by splitting to individual repeaters near the transmitter, and then a long point-to-point connection from repeater to receiver. This is just FYI. Since it sounds like all your devices are right there in the panel, it'll probably work just fine as-is.