Skytrash

I am amazed at how well the RV-9A lands in cross winds.

Last Tuesday the winds were pretty high as a cold front passed through the area. A friend and I were returning to our home airport with the AWOS reporting wind 17 gusting to 25 at 70 degrees off runway heading. And of course the wind always blows with the hangers, trees, etc on the upwind side of the runway. Half way down the 3400 foot runway is the best for limiting the swirling wind around buildings.

On final we had a good 20 to 25 degree crab angle to keep lined up with the runway. Transitioned to a slip at about 50 feet over the numbers. No problem with rudder authority. The gusts and burble made it necessary to be very active on the stick. The amazing part is that I could maintain the runway centerline without feeling like I was even close to running out of control authority.

Touched down on the upwind tire and a gust lifted us off the runway but kept the upwind wing down and kept flying. Set down on the upwind tire again 50-100 ft further down the runway and almost immediately the other main was on the ground. I retracted the flaps as soon as both mains were on the ground to dump lift. Rollout and taxi were uneventful.

I am wondering what the real demonstrated cross wind component is for the RV-9A. I am now going to consider mine 17 knots. It is really probably closer to 20.

Anyone out there demonstrated a higher cross wind component in a 9A?

I have to say that I commute in my 9A almost every day so I do get plenty of practice.

The RV-9 is so easy to fly...

My first RV solo flight was in a 9, and my first solo landing was with the windsock fully extended perpendicular to the runway. It was a piece of cake. The 9s fly so nicely, it's like a 172 with more control authority and no lag time.

Hans

I don't think I've demonstrated the "max", but I've done 32kts at about 70-80 degrees. I have found the stops on a few such landings. I think the pilot limitations come into play much more often than the airplane possibilities. Tanya's x-wind tolerance is almost half mine even though she gets the option for practice every time we find an interesting one. Different strokes for different folks. Not exactly her idea of fun.

Gusts after touch down are more of a problem to me

I have found that keeping the big vertical stabilizer from causing the 9A from weather vanning after touch down is more of a challenge than landing without drift in a gusting cross wind. This was surprise to me because I was use to flying a tricycle gear air plane with a steerable nose gear.

I have now realized that a big gust even if it takes place well after touch down can require active foot work. Of course to someone with a lot of tail wheel time this would not come as a surprise.