Bubblehead

Well Known Member
I almost always fly alone so cg and gross weight is not an issue. When my wife flies with me I know where to put the baggage to keep in cg but I started running some weight and balance scenarios to see what the max passenger weight would be for different conditions of baggage and fuel.

The scenarios gave me data points but no wisdom, insight or understanding.

Over the weekend I started thinking about how to mathematically work it out and possibly chart the results in a way that with a glance I could know the max passenger weight. I started reading up on nomographs and learned a lot but generating them takes a lot of time. I finally decided that even if I developed one it would be difficult to use. I wanted something simple.

Here's the progression of charts based on a pilot weight of 225 lbs. (i.e. me). Each line is a different baggage condition and the horizontal axis is fuel on board in gallons. Pick the config and fuel and read the max passenger weight on the left.

Step 1 - Limiting rear seat passenger weight based on Standard Category 1800 lb max gross weight generated this graph. It is pretty straightforward. Don't worry about the curved portion at the bottom. That is just caused by the compression of the 42 gallon to 40 gallon portion of the graph. This relationship is linear. If you have full tanks your passenger cannot weigh as much as if you had only 1/2 fuel..

GW%20only-M.gif

Step 2 - Limiting rear seat passenger weight based on the Standard Category most aft cg. This addresses the fact that less fuel means a more aft cg so the passenger weight gets more critical as fuel burns off. Note that the lines for different amounts of baggage slope down - the opposite way of the gross weight curves. Note that adding baggage to the front compartment helps with maintaining cg. Not a surprise but the effect was larger than I expected.

cg%20only-M.gif

Step 3 - Limiting rear seat passenger weight based on either gross weight or cg, whichever is more limiting. Funny looking chart but very interesting if I have the math correct.

cg%20and%20GW-M.gif

Conclusions:
1) with baggage in the rear and full fuel you can't have a very heavy passenger!

2) Baggage in front helps below 20 gallons of fuel but limits passenger weight with full fuel due to gross weight limits.

3) THE BIG ONE - if you look at the cg one only, you will see that cg moves aft with fuel burn, so you could be in cg early in a flight and out of cg aft late in the flight. If the flight is long enough and the passenger big enough you could get into trouble.

4) The other BIG ONE - when using the chart consider fuel state throughout the flight. For example, with full baggage (red line) and 25 gallons of fuel everything is cool with a 181 lb passenger, but as fuel burns off the passenger would have to loose weight to keep in cg limits! At 10 gallons the passenger would have to be 161 lbs to still be in limits!

This should be an interesting discussion!

The CG shift issue is why I have the "Takeoff" fuel as well as "Zero" fuel states on my W&B charts. With excell its easy to color code the two results so you can see at a glance if you're in range at the beginning and end of the flight.

Anytime I have a passenger. Fill the front baggage completely first. Remaining rear baggage stays behind if not in CG range.

I just took my brother in law home on a 1.5hr flight. He's 260lbs of rear CG change! I brought a 20lb and two 10lb dumbbells for home. Loaded his gear in the nose and did my takeoff and LANDING W&B. The CG at landing required a 20lb dumbbell and 1 qt of oil be added to the forward locker.

(My landing CG calculation was actually with only 10 gallons remaining. Just in case we went sight seeing a little--- we did)

d9c17206a8e77cdae00512face03d35b_zps47120083.jpg

Last edited:
I just checked your numbers on my W&B spreadsheet and using my weight for pilot and full fuel it looks like total weight at takeoff would be 1870 lbs.

225 lb pilot
260 lb passenger
42 gallons fuel * 6 lb/gallon = 252 lbs
1103 lb airplane (mine)
20 lb weight in front
10 lb baggage front (assumed)

total weight = 1870 lbs.
Vans lists the max gross as 1800 lbs so in my plane with me as pilot I would have been in cg but out of gross weight until about 12 gallons of fuel have burned off. By looking at my cg location only chart in the original post I would be within cg at takeoff and would have been ok all the way to empty tanks, (but marginal at the end), again, assuming my plane and a 225 lb pilot, with your brother in law in the back and a 50 lb weight in the front baggage.

If your brother in law were 275 you would not be able to have a long flight due to the cg moving aft as fuel burns off. BTW if I remember right the Beechcraft A-36 is like this but worse. If you have people in the rear-most seats you can get a severe aft cg very easily.

I suspect most of us are much more worried about cg than gross weight.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that perhaps this is simpler than I made it. That happens a lot.

If GW is ok at take off it will be good for the whole flight.

If cg is good at destination (with a safety factor) it will be good for the whole flight.

So just check the cg and gw charts separately and take the most restrictive weight as the max passenger weight you can carry without changing baggage or fuel configurations.

Plane : 1030lbs
Me: 185lbs (+5lbs for stuff)
Pax: 260lbs
Fwd baggage: 45lbs
Rear baggage: 0

Thinking happy "light" thoughts! ;)

Updated charts

Here are updated GW and CG charts. Since the CG would be out of spec aft with a passenger over 300 lbs regardless of fuel and baggage state perhaps I should put stronger language in the GW chart and clip the graphed lines off at 300 lbs.

GW%20Chart-M.gif

CG%20Chart-M.gif

Graph with >300 lb passenger excluded. It should probably be limited even more based on cg since any fuel burnoff with a 300 lb passenger would mean a violation of the aft cg limit in addition to the gross weigh limit.

GW%20with%20limits-M.gif

W & B computer thingy

Hey John, I've got a beautiful W & B computer program. Its a snap. I assume you have an RV 8, The moment arms would be the same for all 8's, so all you've got to do is plug in your own personal weights for your 8. You can do a dozen calculations in 30 seconds. If you're interested, I'll email it to you.

Don Oberlander

[email protected]

donaziza - I have a spreadsheet that does the job great, but it only provides single data points and using it I never understood that there were configurations and passenger weights that could start off good and end up badly. It seems obvious to me now that I did the work to analyze and understand but I did not before.

My graphs are a simple tool I can keep in the cockpit and at two glances (beginning and end of flight) I can tell if a passenger will put us in a dangerous condition. I don't have to punch in numbers or boot anything up.

I'd love to see your program though. Please email it to me at [email protected]. I'm always looking for a better way to do things.

fwd bagg weight

After flying some "plus-size" passengers, I have two tool bags loaded with dumb weights to ballast the aft CG issue. In my airplane, flying against the aft edge of the envelope have produced some interesting landings.

Somebody check me on this one?

It has been a few years now that I looked at the tech. reports form Van's and as I think I lost my old news letters in one of those lost boxes, you never fined again. Would someone check me on this one? I think it was after the #2 factory RV-8 went down and we got the Newer " Dash-1" wing that that "GW" was upper to 1850lbs. This may let a few of us not have to diet so hard, like me after the Holidays.

Thanks Carl

Thanks Carl, I thought there was a change up by 50lbs.. some way back then. We need all the room we can get to be ready for October-fest and the up coming holidays. I love the good food, but hate to think of it after the first of the year. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888