Rolly9

I have a friend who is 6'2" and 225 Lbs. He is looking at a -4, and was told that 200 Lbs is the max pilot weight. Huh? I used to own a -4, and I do not recall any such limitation. Seems I remember pilot height was the big concern. Am I wrong? Thx. RC

It's all abot CG

The maximum pilot weight solo will be determined by the forward CG limit for a particualr aircraft. With two on board, you have to do a little more arithmetic, and the answer may be different.

The maximum pilot weight solo will be determined by the forward CG limit for a particualr aircraft. With two on board, you have to do a little more arithmetic, and the answer may be different.

Yup...Common W/B basics here!

Yup! I understand the CG thing. I was thinking of a structural limit; ie, the seat would break, etc. Thx.RC

Max 200# pilot is incorrect! I’m 250# and no problem in my -4, it would climb better if I lost 50# ;-(

As for the CG, in the -4 the pilot moves the CG aft, so the forward CG determines the minimum solo pilot weight, mostly not an issue, the only thing on a -4 that moves the CG forward is the oil and fuel, everything else, pilot, passenger’ baggage moves it aft.

Last edited:
if the max is 200 then i'm in trouble. the min for solo in mine is 212 to get it in CG.:D

robert burns
N82RB RV-4

could be

It would be up to Vans to spec it, and evidently they haven't. Some airplanes do in fact have pilot weight limits irrespective of the CG range. I've owned a couple of sailplanes that would balance with a heavier pilot than was legal to fly. Typically 120 kg.