auflauf

I'm New Here
Hello!
As I am now considering to restart flying, I am thinking about buying an used plane (having little spare time, I would not like to stretch the principles of a flying club to the limit).
Yesterday, someone at the AERO at Friedrichshafen talked me into a RV4.
As I'm 6'4.5" (1,94m) and 225lbs (102 kg), most cocpits feel cramped for me and I fear the RV4 makes no difference.

Some examples (in order of flying experience):
SF 25 touring motorglider: ok
Dimona touring motorglider: good
Emeraude: very cramped, headroom ok, fine because it was mine :))
Grob 115: good
PA 28: good, boring
Cessna 152: feasible, boring
nearly all european ultralights: missing 2-4" headroom.

So, are you aware of any pilots of my size flying a RV 4?

My profile:
local flying less than 2 (max 3h), mostly alone, occasionally GF 5'9".
I am looking for a simple rugged 2seater with low operational costs and a cruising speed of at least 95kts/h, price tag of 35000?/50000$. Surely, the RV range is more than I am asking for. But I like the looks of the RV4 and the treetop flying video at youtube :) - and they have a reputation of beeing reliable and fun to fly.

Up to now, I did only some loops (motorgliders are certified for 5.3G). If the plane would allow this, I would like to add some rolls to this experience.

Why not a RV8: planes are more expensive here in europe, and the RV 4 might fit. Furthermore, the fuel cost per hour for the 320 is in the range of 80-120$/h. That's enough!

Any thoughts on this are very welcome.

Kind regards
Alexander

i have an rv-4 that i moved the front seat back just under 2 inches when building i'm 6'2" 200 lbs. and for my size i didn't needs to do this in fact if i built another one i would not do this but since you are larger you might want to look for one that had this done at the time i built vans said two inches was the max that you could move the front seat because of the attach for the sticks one frame member that goes to the rollbar is ran at a different angle but i would think there would be a few planes that this was done to since it was easy to do but with your size the plane would only let a small person in the back. my plane o-320 wood prop will only let me have 185 lbs in the back and i'm at aft cg. i don't watch fuel burn close enough to say how low an 0-320 will go i'm just under 8 gal if i fly normal rpms. also knee room in the back seat is really hurt by moving the front seat back.

I know of quite a few RV-4 pilots that are heavier than you. Don?t think your weight is going to be a problem; height maybe. Some do make taller canopies though to allow for this. I understand the fastback versions along with Todd?s canopies also allows more room, especially in back for the passenger. Also, find one with electric flaps which also gives the passenger more room.

Thanks!

Food for thought. I'll see if I can find a RV4 with
-modified seat rest
-different (higher) canopy
-electric flaps... (prefer mechanical whenever feasible)

Thanks again
Alexander

I have an RV-4 and am 6' and 180 lbs and am very comfortable in it but I have doubts at your size you would for long. If you are not into aerobatics, I would suggest an RV-9 or -9A which sounds to perfectly match the type of flying you describe.

They were designed for the O-320 and most are built with this engine. It will also easily fit a man of your size.

Good Luck with your search.

Glenn Wilkinson

I am 6'4" and about 240. I just sat in a friends 4 a couple of weeks ago. It was tight, mainly because of height. With the right seat cushions and pedal adjustments it could work. I think an in the ear headset would be mandatory.

It is no comparison in room to my RV-8.

Nope

Hi Alexander,

I'll cut the chase and just say you should forget about an RV4. I've built/owned 4 RV4's and have flown many other 4's. The 4 is my favorite of all the models and as much as I'd like to see you own one it's my opinion there simply isn't a lot of room in there for 'big' folks.

That said....by all means try one on BEFORE you buy. If you think you can squeeze in that's fine but trust me....it'll get old real quick.

Here's a pic of a buddy of mine in one of my 4's. I took BOTH seat cushions out for him to try it on. He's about the same size as you.

1009747.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Moving the seat

i have an rv-4 that i moved the front seat back just under 2 inches when building i'm 6'2" 200 lbs. and for my size i didn't needs to do this in fact if i built another one i would not do this

I am looking at starting the construction of my RV in the not too distant future. I am around 6ft and was considering moving the seat back 2 inches. What are the disadavantages of this aside from subtracting from the rear pax room? Does this greatly change the CG? What are your thoughts Bill V

RV-4 ... just sit in one

Alex,

you are invited to sit in mine (Münster-Telgte, EDLT)!!

I am 95KGs and 1,87m and I just fit after having gained all space downwards at the bottom of the seat. The seat bottom has not been moved back however the back rest at the top is angled back by say 2,5cm. I still have 2-3cm headroom with a normal ANR headset ... but when I sit really upright I do touch the (standard) canopy and my shoulders nearly always touch the frame.

I am fine to fly the RV-4 for about 2:30 hrs but than I do want to get out - no problem for my flying legs as 330NM is the max. I need to cover in one go.

So come by an try ... however I tend to agree with Rick and I am kind of not positive really.

Heinz

Last edited:
I am 6 foot tall and the legroom is perfect for me. The canopy however just touched my head - not acceptable. I cracked the canopy and am looking to get a replacement from Todd's. I believe they are a roomier than standard and will email them to clarify. Any one else have any experience in this regard ?

Regards Mark

http://rv-4builder.blogspot.com.au/