eehite

My Nippondenso 60A alternator is currently putting out 14.6-14.7V, but not fluctuating or doing anything else weird. The plane has been down for a couple of months for an avionics upgrade, and these numbers caught my eye because I was used to seeing 14.4V

Is there a good rule of thumb for max acceptable alternator output voltage before I should start troubleshooting?

Thanks!

Voltage

Generally the alt would charge at a higher voltage if the battery was in a discharged state (due to a long hiatus). Top off the charge and it should settle down to normal.....

If you have an Odyssey Battery

Odyssey batteries would like to see their batteries charged at 14.7v.
Mine has been charging 14.6-14,7v since new.
I think the Odyssey will last longer being properly charged like this.

14.5 to 14.7 is pretty common for the Pb VSLA type batteries. I use 14.8 as my yellow line and 15.0 as redline. If you follow the flooded cell battery recommendations they are a bit lower- around 14.2 to 14.5 depending on temperature.

It's a 12V Concorde battery, but I can't remember the part number off the top of my nugget. I'll check this evening and update this post.

The plane has been mostly idle for a couple of months, with the battery sitting on the Concorde-recommended BatteryMINDer trickle charger.