N941WR

Legacy Member
Has anyone put Maule style wheel pants on an RV?

Just curious how they worked out. I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet but have always wondered how they would work out if you designed the aft portion with a pressure recovery cross section. George? Anyone? Thoughts/comments?

osxuser said:
Why? They look like crap IMHO.
Ah, a slave to fashion. ;)

I hope to use the -9 as fast bush plane and don't like the idea of having to worry about packing junk up in the standard wheel pants.

N941WR said:
Ah, a slave to fashion. ;)

I hope to use the -9 as fast bush plane and don't like the idea of having to worry about packing junk up in the standard wheel pants.
I've not seen it done but often wondered the same thing. Your idea here is excellent in that the vast majority of the gear drag is in the legs themselves. If you have the gear legs well streamlined there isn't much additional drag on the bare wheels. Adding the fairings aft would probably not cost more than a few knots over a completely faired wheel.

Give it a try. It looks like a great and FUNCTIONAL idea!
Fashion critics be damned! :)

-mike

mlw450802 said:
Give it a try. It looks like a great and FUNCTIONAL idea!
Fashion critics be damned!

Hey and if it still doesn't look good enough, just put some chrome spinners on there!

spinners.gif

Alex said:
Hey and if it still doesn't look good enough, just put some chrome spinners on there!
Thanks, I needed that!

Seriously, I was thinking of something more like the wheels & tires on this Helio Courier. I will forgo the train horns but only because the compressor would detract so much from my useful load. ;)

Last edited:
...as I wander off into the weeds on this thread...

N941WR said:
Thanks, I needed that!

Seriously, I was thinking of something more like the wheels & tires on this Helio Courier. I will forgo the train horns but only because the compressor would detract so much from my useful load. ;)
That plane was featured in one of the mags I receive within the past year or so and the builder mentioned the train horns and that he had a choice of canadian tuning or american tuning. I don't know the difference there but thought I would sure like to have a set of those on my van!

-mike