G

Geoff

While building my RV-8, the part with which I had the least prior experience (read: none) was the firewall forward. Wiring - no problem. Metalwork - no problem. But the engine? In all of my aviation experience I just left that part to the mechanics. I never tinkered around with car engines growing up, so I really had no experience base upon which to build.

So I bought all the Bingelis books, the Sacramento Sky Ranch Engineering Manual, the Lycoming Overhaul Manual, etc. I read them all, but there was a dearth of current, up-to-date information about actually installing and interfacing all of the firewall forward components. This was exacerbated by the fact that some of the stuff in Vans firewall forward kit doesn't fit quite right and/or is junk.

I originally decided to order my engine from Mattituck based on price and other builder recommendations. I'm sure all of the usual engine shops provide a product of equal quality, but the point of this post is to rave about Mattituck's excellent customer service and technical support.

Mahlon Russell of Mattituck has tirelessly answered all of my questions along the way. I'm sure many of them seemed stupid and were a waste of his time, but he answered them anyway. He even answered emails from home on the weekends, which is way above and beyond the call of duty.

My engine was delivered mid-summer 2006. My plane first flew in September 2007. I now have about 13 hours on it, and Mattituck is still vigorously supporting their product. I've had some oil temperature issues (solved with a new vernatherm and better oil cooler) and other operational questions, and Mahlon has been there for me every step of the way.

I have no experience with other engine shops, but Mattituck appears to be an anomoly in this new world of outsourced crappy customer service and attention only to the bottom line. In my experience, they really do stand behind their product and will do whatever it takes to make it right and get your plane flying problem-free.

If you haven't purchased your engine yet, consider this a glowing recommendation! And no, they didn't ask me to post this... :)

-Geoff

RV-8, TMX-IO360 with dual P-mags

I do have experience with other engine shops and Mattituck is BY FAR the best I have ever dealt with.

Steve
RV7A Red/Gold TMXIO-360

....and Mahlon spends a LOT of time monitoring the various message boards and forums that we all use, looking for folks he can help! Yup, I know there are a few GREAT engine companies out there, and Mattituck is definitely one of them.

Nice gig!

So you are saying he gets PAID to wander all the homebuilding sites while John is at work assembling engines??? :rolleyes::D;)

Sorry, Mahlon, couldn't resist. :)
Thanks for all the support! Really!

My kudos to Mahlon also. Your suggestion to do the M-Mod on my MA4-5 did the trick! Smooth all the way up to 2700 and better GPH even with fatter jets.
Thanks!!