MS19087

Well Known Member
I attended the Mattituck workshop this weekend. Very informative and the hosts (Mahlon & John) did a great job. Started out at 8:30AM with lots of engine parts and by 4:30PM has a completed engine, lubed, torqued, plugged & timed. I even got to see the TMX I ordered last week with my name on it! Thanks Mattituck!

Was this one engine that everyone participated in assemblying, as opposed to building you own engine under their guidance? How much was this workshop, or was it part of the cost of your new engine?

I was there also, and I have to hand it to those guys, they did a great job. Took great care of us, learned a lot about the little details that make a good engine build. John was patient, thorough, and happy to answer any and all questions. There wasn't much hands on, too many folks watching for that. Got to take a tour around the shop, watched an engine run in the test cell. Overall a great time, and could heartily recommend to others. Thanks Mahlon, John and Keith for a very informative day!

I started out thinking I wouldn't want to build my own engine, but now I think I could if I chose too. The advantage for me to have them do it would be the fact that all parts are inspected dimensionally, they have all the special tools, warranty just in case, etc.

How much was this workshop, or was it part of the cost of your new engine?

The workshops are free to anyone who signs up. No engine buy required, although the one I went to was enough to convince me to buy a Mattituck engine.

Dave

Nothing firmly scheduled at this time. Likely sometime this spring or late winter.
Send me an email to [email protected] and I will put you on the list to be notified for the next one.
Good Luck,
Mahlon

I still have to ask: do you guys that go to these workshops sign some letter of secrecy or something?

In all the years of the every-now-and-again posts about the Mattituck workshop, it's been light on substance, while tantalizing the rest of us. :D Exactly WHAT did you learn that you can share? Details, please.

8:00, doors open to a continental breakfast. Coffee, donuts, NY Bagels and cream cheese. On the table are folders with your name tags on them. Everyone wanders around chit chatting looking at the engines on display. A lone crankshat sits vertically on a stand in front of a table, where all the remaining parts are.

8:30 we take our seats, and John ( the assemmbler ) starts with some history of the Experimental engines, Lycoming, ECI, and Superior. He shares some stories about their role in helping with some developments along the way. Then he talks a bit about desired clearances as he bolts the rods to the crankshaft. Explains why he keeps the assembly oriented with the #1 piston at TDC.

10:00 we take a break and mill around, talking with new folks. Just about everyone I met is working on a RV.

10:20 or so we're back in our seats, and John continues with his presentation. Next up is the case installation. He tells us what he sees most in engines that come into their shop that built by guys like us. Forgotten parts, improper saftey installations. One thing I remember is him telling us that the end play clearance is .009-.016 new, with .025 being at the end of acceptable tolerance. (I'm quite sure my Mooney was out of spec on this, it made a big clunk when you tugged on the prop) Don't forget, he only sees the engines folks messed up, not all the ones that are fine :) They prep the case with 2 strands of silk thread, and pre lube all the bearings. He gets a volunteer to help him with the assembly of the 2 case halves. He then assembles the rear case as well.

12:00 we break for lunch. About 1/2 the crowd goes for the food, the other 1/2 for a close look at the engine. I doubt anyone went hungry. Way more than enough to eat. More wandering and talking.

12:30 or so we're back in the seats again. John talks about the pistons, rings and cylinders. He's got a real nice tool for compressing the rings, and puts the 4 cylinders on with no fuss at all. Talks about the proper torque values for the different nuts and thru bolts.

2:00 Another break, John has said he will continue working while we take 5. Given permission to get up, instead of walking around we all crowd around for a closer look.. Lol, no one ever went back to their seats after that. We all stayed around while he did the pushrod tubes, pushrods, rocker arms and such. About then he asked some of us to help by installing the rocker covers, while he got started on the mags. lotsa neat tips on timimg. How to determine TDC on the compression stroke, neat little tool to measure 25' without the flywheel being on.

While this is going on, folks come and go as they discover the cookies laid out on the food table :)

About 3:30 the engine is completely assembled down to the oil filter. we pose for a picture of us behind the completed engine. (They also took one prior to starting as well)

They gave certificates with our names on them, and free TMX T-shirts.

We then toured their facility, starting with the engine test cell, where Mahlon fired up an engine for us. Very thorough explanation about their procedures. Lots of completed engines on the rack waiting to be tested I presume.
Then we were treated to a quick tour of what was left of the Mattituck Auto museum. A private collection of some very rare stuff, restorations in progress. Really neat. That was followed by a walk through the shop. The we had to scoot to catch the ferry across Long Island Sound.

Is that detailed enough Bob? I'm not much of a typist, or a writer but here's to hoping that gives you a little more insight to the day :)

Last edited:
Good description

Excellent description Dave. I did the workshop last year and was very impressed.

Mahlon had a great line during a break one day. He said "this workshop is for those who can build an engine and need a few pointers, for those who know they can't build an engine and want to understand what goes into a Mattituck engine and for those who think they can build an engine and really shouldn't." I totally agree.

Any potential thoughts that I had as an engine neophyte of building my own engine evaporated before lunch, and I sat fascinated by the knowledge and precision that were going into the engine being built.

I highly recommend the workshop.

Antony

Mattituck Airport To Be Sold???

I attended the workshop a couple of years ago and I still shake my head when I think about it. These folks at Mattituck are the salt of the earth, sharing their knowledge and experience. No doubt they have gained some business as a result but at no time do you ever feel your are being sold anything. Arrive with an appetite because they make sure you are well fed throughout the day. I HIGHLY recommend attending in the future. Which leads me to the rumors regarding the future of Mattituck Airport. Has anyone heard that it is being sold for development? Long Island's North Fork is the next Hamptons with property values skyrocketing. What a shame if it is true.. :confused:

Nice write-up, Dave. The description (minus the tour) sounds like the tear-down and build-up's that they do at Oshkosh in their tent. I attended last time - it was great, learned alot. They spent about 4-5 hours doing a build, with audience participation on a demo O-360. For those who have done both - is it very similar (no food at their tent, heh heh)?