Dbro172

Well Known Member
Hello, could use a little help here....

I figure upcoming 3 day weekend will be good to make progress on my fiberglass tips; wings won't be shipping for a few more weeks...

Therefore, i'm going to need to put in an order for the fiberglass & filler type materials that will be needed right? Which is where I could use some advice. I've been doing research, watching videos, etc. then went to Aircraft Spruce only to find hundreds of different options. Rather than rack my brain, I figured someone here could probably rattle off the tip of their tongue what materials I'll need to complete the fiberglass tips on the Emp kit of my -9A

So, any advice as to what products I need to arm myself with for the task would be much appreciated. (glass cloth, epoxy, flox, etc). What's the most common? I'm referring mostly to fiberglass & filler materials, not necessarily attachments, rivets, nut plates etc. (click bond plate nut fasteners on order).

Any thoughts?

Derek
RV-9A

Derek,

I used aluminum from the trim bundle to fill in my tips. Tacked it down with proseal, but any 5 minute epoxy would suffice. Then I mixed up some flox to really get it bonded in place on the inner surface with a big fillet. The outer surface was filled with micro and sanded flush with a bit of a concave surface to accomodate the throw radius of the control surfaces.

The epoxy I used was West Systems. You should be able to find this at West Marine. I've got plenty of flox and micro if you need it.

1197380629_WVD9U-M.jpg

1224426295_Z95Xw-M.jpg

1224426405_eqwZd-M.jpg