219PB

Well Known Member
I am getting my canopy down from the mezzanine in my shop to install on the RV-6a. My kit is an orphan that has been through 3 owners and several moves. I am thinking about removing all of the protective plastic covering prior to installing so that I can fully inspect for any damage. I would hate to complete the installation, remove the protective covering and then find that I have some damage. It would be bad enough to have to purchase a new canopy but have to reinstall would really suck!

I have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone removed their protective covering and found damage that was not apparent before removal?

2. If I remove, what is the recommended material to protect the canopy during the installation? I am worried about using material that might be detrimental to the plexiglass. I have a roll of the blue plastic that is used to cover aluminum sheets.

Hey Paul,

No damage to my canopy whatsoever beneath the plastic.

During assembly, I peeled some of the plastic back for making cuts, etc. and wanted to recover it. So i found some clear plastic film at Lowe's that has a very light adhesive, used for protecting carpet during open houses, etc. Found it in the painting section.

Don't use paper-backed tape on the exposed plexiglass for long (masking tape, painters tape, etc).

I had quite a bit of the blue painters tape on mine, it sat for most of 2 years and the adhesive dries out over time, it becomes very difficult to remove.

canopy protector

When I was a kid hanging out at the glider airport in Rosamond, ca, there was a fiberglass glider repair shop. He would brush on a latex like substance on the canopy while the gliders were in the shop. I liked it because it was soft and thick and would absorb an impact if something light struck the canopy.

Why not try some stretch wrap. The original protective plastic seemed to come off easy so why not re-apply the same type of material.
I left my protective plastic on until I was done with just about everything.

Airplane Plastics

Maybe call Jeff Rogers, Airplane Plastics. He makes the canopies.
Very friendly and helpful when I was ordering my finish kit. Sent me samples and described the merits of each.
937-669-2677