FresnoR

Well Known Member
Does anyone know the metal properties of the steps?

I took mine to a welder to have a gusset welded onto the bottom of it prior to installation, and the welder thought that it might be a special type of steel in which he would want to match.

thanks!

I just finished having gussets wielded on my -9A steps. I used 4130 .062" steel for the gussets. It welded fine and is very strong. Dan

any photos?

I'm thinking of doing some type of reinforcing of my steps before initial installation. Photos from previous threads look good. Did you do yours the same way?

Your steps are 4130, we use Esab-65 rod to weld them, I believe it’s 70-S2, you could also use 4130 rod, not quite as nice to work with but it’s ok.

Your steps are 4130, we use Esab-65 rod to weld them, I believe it’s 70-S2, you could also use 4130 rod, not quite as nice to work with but it’s ok.
Rick,

4130 is also known as Chrome-moly, maybe your welder is familiar with that. Steps are not exactly a critical structural part and you can weld other types of steel to it.

Russ,

Since you are in the business, do you recommend welding with 4130 rod on this type of weldment, without heat treating after? Never welded with this rod but every text I've ever read recommended heat treating after welding.

Last edited: