sthopkins

Hi all - I've done a bit of work on the airfoil kit from Van's, and am looking to do some riveting as I look around for a tail kit.

I'm planning on grabbing some scrap sheet stock from a local supplier to do some practice riveting (and dimpling, drilling, assembly, ect...) after work; I'm currently working alongside an A+P at a small aerospace company (though it's all carbon fiber here) who's going to help me out.

What should I be picking up for sheet stock? I was thinking .016 and .020 2024-T3. Anything else I should be considering?

Thanks,
Scott

practive

Not sure which plane you are considering but the -7 and -8 are mostly .025 and .032.

I say the thinner the better. Get good at the weaker material without dents and smileys and the thicker stuff will be that much easier!

Practice

I agree, if you can rivet the thin stuff without screwing it up you have it figured out.

I think one of the best "deals" in homebuilding are the 2'x2' sheets of 2024 from ACS - low price, and they pacakeg them well - heck, they probably spend more on packaging than they make selling the materials to you. And....I bet that you'll eventually want some extra materials to make things....so think about ordering several sheets of each thickness up to 0.040 at one time - use some of it for practice, some for spare parts in the future. It's good to have spare material on hand!

Agree with thinner comment, but would get .020 and .025, then a piece of extrusion if you want to practice countersinking and working with scotchbrite and files.

Order the Empennage Trim bundle from Vans

You can order the trim bundle for the empennage from Vans separately. It contains a mix of .020 and .032 sheets that I have used for practice pieces and making parts. I would have to check on the part number but I think it is also listed on the web or the catalog.

That said, I have also run to HD and picked up .018 and.032 sheets from them - all for practice, of course, and not for applying to the airplane. Only the good/correct stuff goes on the airplane.

You can even get some angle there if you need something quick - I agree with Mike -get the sheets but also get some thicker angle for countersinking practice to refine your skills for mating parts with countersunk holes with other parts that have dimples. You can "dial in" your counterskink that way fairly easily.

Last edited: