howardtlcc

When we install the Matco wheel the hole for the cotter pin in the axle nut is right at the end of the axle. I see one solution is to slot the cotter pin holes. Any ideas on how to accomplish that?

Another solution was to mill 1/4 inch off the end of the axle nut. But, you need a lathe for that plus won't that screw up the fit of the wheel pants?

Anyone run across this?

thanks

Howard

I'm not sure I can visualize your issue..... are you talking about main wheels or nose wheel ?
I attached a 2 page excerpt with those dwg's so you can explain reference them.

Attachments

• Pages from RV10 Composite Manual & Dwgs.pdf
    187.1 KB · Views: 20
I switched to a thinner cotter pin that makes it much easier to slightly bend and get through the holes on both sides of the gear/nut.

When we install the Matco wheel the hole for the cotter pin in the axle nut is right at the end of the axle. I see one solution is to slot the cotter pin holes. Any ideas on how to accomplish that?

Another solution was to mill 1/4 inch off the end of the axle nut. But, you need a lathe for that plus won't that screw up the fit of the wheel pants?

Anyone run across this?

thanks

Howard
I have a lathe so I knocked an 1/8” or so off the end. Then built up the wheel pant to compensate.

I'm not sure I can visualize your issue..... are you talking about main wheels or nose wheel ?
I attached a 2 page excerpt with those dwg's so you can explain reference them.
U-01004 does not screw onto the axle enough. The hole for the cotter pin would be right at the end of the axle. Either the hole would have to be redrilled in the U-01004 part or that part would have to be shorter to thread onto the axle more.

Howard

Anyone run across this?

thanks

Howard
I used a Dremel tool to elongate the cotter pin hole on the axel nut. it worked fine.

U-01004 does not screw onto the axle enough. The hole for the cotter pin would be right at the end of the axle. Either the hole would have to be redrilled in the U-01004 part or that part would have to be shorter to thread onto the axle more.

Howard
Is it possible you have two of the spacers (U-1005) on the axle inside the wheel ? or is there excessive powder coat on the brake mount (U-1003) outer edge preventing U-1005 from seating flush as designers intended. Lastly - check width of spacer U-1005, maybe you were sent the incorrect or a mis-manufactured part ?
Regarding the wheel itself - make sure bearing races are fully seated in each wheel half, that would also eat-up axle length.
Let us know what you find....

Last edited: