Carlos151

Well Known Member
Friend
Let me start by saying that I love my Matco brakes, however...........
Since I've had their brakes that came with my Vans kit I've done their Swiftline exchange program. You essentially have two sets of brakes with them. When it's time to replace your brake pads, you have a new set ready to go, remove the old set, install the new set, send the old set in to Matco and they'll put new brake linings on and send them back to you. The cost was 20% off the reline kit and the labor was free so it was cheaper than doing it myself. The last time I did this was in 2021 and the price was $28.79 plus the return postage. I just checked online for the same SWFT-1 exchange kit and it is now $112.62, a whopping 291% price increase 😳. Surely that was a misprint so I called Matco to verify and that is indeed the correct price. I get it that prices have gone up but that is just an insane price increase over a three year period for the same product. It appears they want to drive folks away from exchanging brake pads and they are most definitely successful in my case. Just ordered the brake reline kit WHLBRL-1 kit for $44.51 (a more realistic 24% price increase from 2021), a brake rivet tool that I can reuse multiple times for $47.36 so now I can reline my brakes for a third of the price, and I get to add another tool to my collection.

OK, I'm done venting, just wanted to give the rest of you folks a heads up in case you decide to sign up for their Swiftline service at OSH this year.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that I love my Matco brakes, however...........
Since I've had their brakes that came with my Vans kit I've done their Swiftline exchange program. You essentially have two sets of brakes with them. When it's time to replace your brake pads, you have a new set ready to go, remove the old set, install the new set, send the old set in to Matco and they'll put new brake linings on and send them back to you. The cost was 20% off the reline kit and the labor was free so it was cheaper than doing it myself. The last time I did this was in 2021 and the price was $28.79 plus the return postage. I just checked online for the same SWFT-1 exchange kit and it is now $112.62, a whopping 291% price increase 😳. Surely that was a misprint so I called Matco to verify and that is indeed the correct price. I get it that prices have gone up but that is just an insane price increase over a three year period for the same product. It appears they want to drive folks away from exchanging brake pads and they are most definitely successful in my case. Just ordered the brake reline kit WHLBRL-1 kit for $44.51 (a more realistic 24% price increase from 2021), a brake rivet tool that I can reuse multiple times for $47.36 so now I can reline my brakes for a third of the price, and I get to add another tool to my collection.

OK, I'm done venting, just wanted to give the rest of you folks a heads up in case you decide to sign up for their Swiftline service at OSH this year.

From Matco Site re SWFT-1 kits description (7-15-24):

After your SwiftLine purchase, any time you send your brake shoes in with spent linings, they will be relined for 20% off the cost of the reline kit. There is no labor charge removing the old linings and installing the new ones! Call for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number when sending in shoes with spent linings to minimize the turn around time.

The reline kit WHLBRL-1 shows a price of $43.12

Maybe I misunderstand.... ?

From Matco Site re SWFT-1 kits description (7-15-24):

After your SwiftLine purchase, any time you send your brake shoes in with spent linings, they will be relined for 20% off the cost of the reline kit. There is no labor charge removing the old linings and installing the new ones! Call for a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number when sending in shoes with spent linings to minimize the turn around time.

The reline kit WHLBRL-1 shows a price of $43.12

Maybe I misunderstand.... ?
Nope, that's the way I read it too and that's how it has worked in the past for me. I called to get an RMA number like you're supposed to and the lady on the phone says "nope, it shows $112.62, that must be what it costs now." I said no thanks and went on my merry way. Something is definitely not right. I'm going to call back and get someone else to clear this up. Will report back.

Yes. Please report what u find. I’ve done the exchange program every year for 7 years. Never even think about brake wear for the price of $30.