tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I just finished installing the Matco RV axle, and I had a few questions that were not sufficiently covered in the instructions:

1) With the pre-loaded bearing torque that is provided, how tight do you torque the axle nut?
2) How tight should the 1/4" retention bolt for the axle be...standard 1/4" torque?
3) The instructions show to "static balance" the wheel using 3/8" threaded rod and two cinder blocks. I slowly spun the wheel and could not tell any heavy spots, but I'm not sure how the static balance is supposed to be done, but I'm just guessing.

THanks,
Scott
7A

Scott,

I used standard torques (from AC 43.13) for the axle bolt and the 1/4" retention bolt. As for static balance, I spun the wheel on the axle bolt and couldn't find any great imbalance. No balance weights added. We'll see how it works when flying.

On the plus side, the torque needed to spin the wheel is WAY less than with the original Van's setup.

3) The instructions show to "static balance" the wheel using 3/8" threaded rod and two cinder blocks. I slowly spun the wheel and could not tell any heavy spots, but I'm not sure how the static balance is supposed to be done, but I'm just guessing.

Slowly spin the wheel and wait for it to stop. It will usually 'backup' or oscillate once or twice before the heavier spot stops at the bottom. Mark the top and repeat. If the wheel stops at or near the same spot, add weight at the top and retest. The less drag in the spin axis the better. Idea is to have the tire stop at random locations.

Dave

Thanks all. I did hear back from Matco, and they confirmed 60 - 90 in-lbs. They would not confirm the Vans axle torque, but I am guessing it is standard AN6 torque.

Either my wheel is perfectly balanced, or my method does not work real well. Spinning the wheel real slow I can get it to stop at about any point. Should I have these balanced on a real balancer, or is it not a problem that needs solved? How often do people have their wheels balanced?

Thanks,
Scott
7A